Monday 16 April 2007

The Colbert Report

I thought this week I'd highlight a few of my favorite T.V. show that I miss watching (I'm really just had my fill of not understanding anything because the TV is always, on and in Spanish) and so first on my list is The Colbert Report. It makes fun of all the news talk shows, mostly The O'Reilly Factor. I think it's very amusing. One of my favorite parts is his "Dead to Me" and "On Notice" lists. Here's his lists as of Feb. 28, 2007:

ON NOTICE
JAMES BRADY
BLACK HOLE AT CENTER OF GALAXY
THE WEATHER CHANNEL
GRIZZLY BEARS
THE BRITISH EMPIRE
JOURNAL OF PALEOLIMNOLOGY
MICHAEL ADAMS
TODD RUNDGREN
BARBRA STREISAND
ISRAELI NEWSPAPERS

DEAD TO ME
CNN EN ESPANOL
CAST OF FRIENDS
OWLS
SCREW-CAP WINES
BOWTIE PASTA
CALIFORNIA'S 50TH
NEW YORK INTELLECTUALS
MEN WITH BEARDS
HEATHER CLARK
TORONTO RAPTORS

It changes according to what's goin on in the news. But usually Grizzly Bears is always there.

Stephen Colbert also coined the word of the year by Webster Dictionary in 2006. Here's the exert from his show:

"I will speak to you in plain, simple English. And that brings us to tonight's word: 'truthiness.' Now I'm sure some of the 'word police,' the 'wordinistas' over at Webster's are gonna say, 'hey, that's not a word'. Well, anyone who knows me knows I'm no fan of dictionaries or reference books.
I don't trust books. They're all fact, no heart. And that's exactly what's pulling our country apart today. 'Cause face it, folks; we are a divided nation. Not between Democrats and Republicans, or conservatives and liberals, or tops and bottoms. No, we are divided between those who think with their head, and those who know with their heart.
Consider Harriet Miers. If you 'think' about Harriet Miers, of course her nomination's absurd. But the president didn't say he 'thought' about his selection. He said this:
(video clip of President Bush:) 'I know her heart.'
Notice how he said nothing about her brain? He didn't have to. He feels the truth about Harriet Miers.
And what about Iraq? If you think about it, maybe there are a few missing pieces to the rationale for war. But doesn't taking Saddam out feel like the right thing?"

I love it!! And here's another just for fun.

"In a July 2006 episode of the satirical comedy The Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert announced the neologism wikiality, a portmanteau of the words Wikipedia and reality, for his segment "The Wørd." Colbert defined wikiality as "truth by consensus" (rather than fact), modeled after the approval-by-consensus format of Wikipedia. He ironically praised Wikipedia for following his philosophy of truthiness, in which intuition and consensus is a better reflection of reality than fact:

"You see, any user can change any entry, and if enough other users agree with them, it becomes true. ... If only the entire body of human knowledge worked this way. And it can, thanks to tonight's word: Wikiality. Now, folks, I'm no fan of reality, and I'm no fan of encyclopedias. I've said it before. Who is Britannica to tell me that George Washington had slaves? If I want to say he didn't, that's my right. And now, thanks to Wikipedia, it's also a fact.
We should apply these principles to all information. All we need to do is convince a majority of people that some factoid is true. ... What we're doing is bringing democracy to knowledge.[6][7]

According to Colbert, together "we can all create a reality that we all can agree on; the reality that we just agreed on." During the segment, he joked "I love Wikipedia... any site that's got a longer entry on truthiness than on Lutherans has its priorities straight." Colbert also used the segment to satirize the more general issue of whether the repetition of statements in the media leads people to believe they are true. The piece was introduced with the tagline, "The Revolution Will Not Be Verified," referencing the lack of objective verification seen in some articles."

Ok, and I just got all that info from Wikipedia. So what does that tell you about me?
My other favorite part is "Better Know a District, like so:

Each segment begins with basic information about a specific district, such as history and geography, and sometimes a humorously bizarre event that happened there. The district is also almost invariably referred to as "fightin'," as in the "Fightin' 11th." The sole exception is the first edition, in which a local sports team is referred to as "fightin" mere seconds after this term would later become customary, pointing to the origin of the use of the term. Most segments feature an interview with its Representative.
One comedic maneuver that Colbert commonly employs in these interviews, particularly when he is interviewing Democrats, is to ask the Representative a loaded question of either "George W. Bush: great President, or the greatest President?", or "the Iraq War: great war, or the greatest war?" When the interviewee, nearly always a Democrat, tries to express his or her disapproval of Bush, Colbert will usually state that the only choice is between "Great" or "Greatest," and nearly always states, "I'm gonna put you down for 'Great'." (He often refers to previous Democratic representatives who chose great, and shows clips from their interviews where they, too, refused to choose either 'great' or 'greatest,' and Colbert simply bulldozes over them saying, "I'm gonna put you down for 'Great'.")
After the interview, Colbert adds the segment to "the big board", a map of the entire United States with district lines drawn; the new district, shown in sparkling gold on a blue background, is usually very difficult or impossible to see due to its small size. Though many districts have been profiled, the map still looks largely vacant overall.

Anyway, on to more adorable things, mainly my daughter, hee. hee. This is Leo feeding her a chocolate truffle.














This what happened when he tried to get it back,
and this is the aftermath.

2 comments:

The Haws Family said...

That was great! I love it when you write big, long stories that I can stay up reading instead of going to bed! It was highly interesting, and highly entertaining, and your baby is so beautiful! You need to come visit me!

Hanah said...

She is definitely her mother's daughter!! :) Elena is sooooo adorable!!!! The pictures made me laugh :)