Thursday 7 February 2008

California Dreaming

So this is how it looks outside. Not from my window exactly, but you get the picture. Yesterday it was snowing like crazy all day. And of course I had a Dr's appt. so I had to drive through it. Yuck. I really, really, really, detest winter! After several years of warmth, I just don't like coming back to the cold, windy, numbing, scraping car, freezing hands, snowy north. Frankly, no snow would be my ideal. You may have already guessed where this is going due to the title of this blog, and yes, I have been California dreaming.

In particular, Woodland, CA sounds about perfect. Why Woodland? Well, first let me explain something (here you go Emily). My husband works for Mesa Air, a stinky, no good, etc. ect. company. Everybody hates Mesa Air, especially the people that work there. I once watched a youtube video of a former Mesa pilot burning his employee contract and handbook. A bit extreme, but I understand the sentiment. They lost, I think anyway, 60% of their employees last year. And due to the lack of pilots, Leo just got an email saying that all vacation time for the rest of the year is cancelled, for everyone. And they think that will keep pilots?!?!?! Anyway, it's jokingly called the Skywest training program and with good reason, generally 30% of the hirees at Skywest are former Mesa pilots. And well, Leo hopes to join them soon. Probably, April. Why Skywest? Well, he has the minimums for them--or soon will, and not much else. We want to move back west--say California and I don't want him to have a long commute. Also, Leo's just heard they treat their employees really well. They don't have a union, which Leo likes now that he's seen what being in a union is like at Mesa. And they're hiring like crazy right now and have a base in Chicago so we won't have to move for a couple years (hopefully), until he upgrades to captain (which should be a shorter time in Chicago since it's one of the most junior bases). Then once a captain, off to California. Skywest has a base in LA, San Fran, and Las Vegas, all which are short enough commutes to fit my tastes of having my husband home as much as possible.
So back to Woodland. It's a town of about 50,000 (perfect size) outside of Sacramento (eight miles from the airport actually) but surrounded by fields. There's mountains nearby (hooray!), Lake Tahoe's two hours away, the ocean is about one hour away the other way.
Here's the best thing though:

The average temperature throughout the year is 61 °F (16 °C), with the daily average ranging from 46 °F (8 °C) in December and January to 76 °F (24 °C). Average daily high temperatures range from 53 °F (12 °C) in December and January to 93 °F (34 °C) in July (with many days of over 100 °F (38 °C) highs). And snow is EXTREMELY RARE--although as you can see in the pictures it snows plenty in the mountains nearby. As for the over 100 °F weather in the summer, I can handle that. At least it's not 115 °F weather like in Phoenix. That's too hot.

They grow mangoes there too. And lots of other fruits and yummy stuff. And the cost of living is actually cheaper than here in Chicago. Anyway, it won't be for a couple years, but at least it helps thinking about it during the third week of no sun here in Chicago.

9 comments:

Lynn said...

Nice! What a difference in pics from top to bottom. Can see why you are California dreamin'! I wish you and Leo all the best in heading to the direction you plan on going. Sounds like he does very well in his job to be able to have some options open for you guys. That is so cool!

Hanah said...

Kami those are gorgeous pictures!! I hope that everything continues to work out for you guys, and that you will end up there in the next couple years!

Emily said...

Hope it works out for you! Lake Tahoe is my favorite place in the whole world!

We have 4 buddies that work for SkyWest... so don't believe everything you hear is wine and roses over there, but I would say it's better than Mesa. At least you get Vacation!

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Kami-
After reading my last comment, I realized that it could come off as harsh. This was not my intention, I truly hope that things will work out for you!

I hate everything about being a beginning pilot. You feast or famine for sure. I just hate how the regionals take total advantage of their FO employees. How can someone raise a family on $20 thousand a year? I surely would like to know!

I heard from a friend at SkyWest (in the training department) that they are considering paying new hires who come from other airlines and have previous experience on large aircraft -- 3rd year pay, or something like that. But, the aviation world is full of rumors, as I;m sure you know.

Sending spring-like weather thoughts your way.

Twylla Gibbens said...

I wish I lived in California too. Family won't be to far away from you if you did move there.

Maria said...

I just have to say - that I love the quote you have on your sidebar. That is hilarious!

Annie said...

kami
i can't understand why you want to leave the winter wonderland of Chicago...HAHAHA.. Glad to hear that Skywest has a facility here so we won't have to say goodbye yet.

Price of Silence said...

Woodland does sound perfect. It's supposed to snow 5 inches tonight and get down to 20 degrees or so. I'm up for moving to California!