Friday 20 April 2007

The Animaniacs!



This was my favorite cartoon show when I was a kid. I used to come home from middle school and fold laundry while I watched it. In high school I watched Digimon and Bill Nye the Science Guy with my little brother Ethan while I did the ironing. I guess my taste never matured that much. Anyway, Wacko was my favorite out of Wacko, Yacko, and Dot. I also liked Rita and Runt who would always do a mock musical like Les Misanimals for Les Miserables. And of course, you can't forget, Pinky and the Brain! I mean, I had a car named Pinky, decorated in Pinky and the Brain memorabilia (the car was also pink).


In the show, Wacko, Yakko, and Dot are the stars of some of the early Warner Bros. animated cartoons. These cartoons were so insane that the studio executives locked the films away in vaults and locked the Warners in the Warner Bros. Studios water tower in Burbank, California. The image of the Warners is a tongue-in-cheek homage to Bosko, Warner Bros.' first cartoon character.


I think the show was very educational, it taught things like:






Also geography and history, well you get the idea.

Great Pinky and the Brain Quotes!

Brain: Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?
Pinky: Mmmm, no, Brain, don't think I can.

Brain: Our ratings are in the toilet.
Pinky: Oh, I'll get them.

Pinky: Feel strange... my body, growing... Argh! I'm becoming the Incredible Hu--oh, wait, no, I'm just becoming normal Pinky again. Zort!

Brain: I feel the need. I feel the need for expeditious velocity.

In every episode, Brain asks Pinky the question "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Pinky's various responses are:

"Well, I think so, Brain, but if they call people from Poland Poles, why don't they call people from Holland Holes?"
"I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?"
"Wuh, I think so, Brain, but if we didn't have ears, we'd look like weasels."
"Uh... yeah, Brain, but where are we going to find rubber pants our size?"
"Uh, I think so, Brain, but balancing a family and a career ... ooh, it's all too much for me."
"Wuh, I think so, Brain, but burlap chafes me so."
"Sure, Brain, but how are we going to find chaps our size?"
"Uh, I think so, Brain, but we'll never get a monkey to use dental floss."
"Uh, I think so Brain, but this time, you wear the tutu."
"I think so, Brain, but culottes have a tendency to ride up so."
"I think so, Brain, but if we covered the world in salad dressing wouldn't the aspargus feel left out?"
"I think so, Brain, but if they called them
'Sad Meals', kids wouldn't buy them!"
"I think so, Brain, but me and
Pippi Longstocking -- I mean, what would the children look like?"
"I think so, Brain, but this time you put the trousers on the chimp."
"Well, I think so, Brain, but I can't memorize a whole opera in Yiddish."
"I think so, Brain, but there's still a bug stuck in here from last time."
"Uh, I think so, Brain, but I get all clammy inside the tent."
"Yes, I am!" - Said in an episode where Pinky was made as smart as the Brain.
"I think so, Brain, but,
the Rockettes? I mean, it's mostly girls, isn't it?"
"I think so, Brain, but pants with horizontal stripes make me look chubby."
"Well, I think so -POIT- but where do you
stick the feather and call it macaroni?"
"Well, I think so, Brain, but pantyhose are so uncomfortable in the summertime."
"Well, I think so, Brain, but it's a miracle that this one grew back."
"Well, I think so, Brain, but first you'd have to take that whole
bridge apart, wouldn't you?"
"Well, I think so, Brain, but 'apply North Pole' to what?"
"Well, I think so, Brain, but snort no, no, it's too stupid!" -said the only time when Pinky WAS pondering the same thing. (To dress as a cow.)
"Umm, I think so, Don Cerebro, but, umm, why would
Sophia Loren do a musical?"
"Umm, I think so, Brain, but what if the chicken won't wear the nylons?"
"I think so, Brain, but isn't that why they invented tube socks?"
"Well, I think so Brain, but what if we stick to the seat covers?"
"I think so Brain, but if you replace the 'P' with an 'O', my name would be Oinky, wouldn't it?"
"Well, I think so hiccup, but Kevin Costner with an English accent?"
"I think so, Brain, but don't you need a swimming pool to play
Marco Polo?"
"Well, I think so, Brain, but do I really need two tongues?"
"I think so, Brain, but we're already naked."
"We eat the box?"
"Well, I think so, Brain, but if
Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?"
"I think so, Brain NARF, but don't camels spit a lot?"
"I think so, Brain, but isn't a cucumber that small called a gherkin?"
"I think so, Brain, but if we get
Sam Spade, we'll never have any puppies."
"I think so, Larry, and um, Brain, but how can we get seven dwarves to shave their legs?"
"I think so, Brain, but calling it pu-pu platter? Huh, what were they thinking?"
"I think so, Brain, but how will we get
the Spice Girls into the paella?"
"I think so, Brain, but if we give peas a chance, won't the lima beans feel left out?"
"I think so, Brain, but if we had a snowmobile, wouldn't it melt before summer?"
"I think so, Brain, but can the Gummi Worms really live in peace with the Marshmallow Chicks?"
"Wuh, I think so, Brain, but
wouldn't anything lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?"
"I think so, Brain, but three round meals a day wouldn't be as hard to swallow."
"I think so, Brain, but if the plural of mouse is mice, wouldn't the plural of spouse be spice?"
"Umm, I think so, Brain, but
three men in a tub? Ooh, that's unsanitary!"
"Yes, but why does the chicken cross the road, huh, if not for love? I do not know."
"Yes Brain, but if our knees bent the other way, how would we ride a bicycle?"
"I think so, Brain, but I find scratching just makes it worse."
"I think so, Brain, but shouldn't the bat boy be wearing a cape?"
"I think so, Brain, but why would anyone want a depressed tongue?"
"Um, I think so, Brainie, but why would anyone want to
Pierce Brosnan?"
"
"I think so, Brain, but wouldn't his movies be more suitable for children if he was named Jean-Claude van Darn?"
"I think so, Brain, but why does a forklift have to be so big if all it does is lift forks?"
"I think so, Brain, but if it was only supposed to be a
three hour tour, why did the Howells bring all their money?"
"I think so, Brain, but
Zero Mostel times anything will still give you Zero Mostel."
"I think so, Brain, but if we have nothing to fear but fear itself, why does
Eleanor Roosevelt wear that spooky mask?"
"I think so, Brain, but what if the hippopotamus won't wear the beach thong?"
"Um, I think so, Brain-2, but a show about two talking lab mice? Hoo! It'll never get on the air."
"I think so, Brain, but Lederhosen won't stretch that far."
"I think so, Brain, but what would goats be doing in red leather turbans?"
"Yes, Brain, I think so. But how do we get Twiggy to pose with an electric goose?"
Pinky: I think so, Brain. But if I put on two tutu's, would I really be wearing a four-by-four?Brain: Why do I even bother asking?Pinky: I dunno, Brain. Maybe it's all part of some huge, cosmic plot formula!
"I think so, Brain, but wouldn't mustard make it sting?"

"I think so, Mr. Brain, but
if the sun'll come out tomorrow, what's it doing right now?"
"I think so, Brain, but aren't we out of shaving cream?"
"Um, I think so, Brain, but I hear Hillary is the jealous type."
"Uh, I think so, Brain--but after eating newspaper all day, do I really need the extra fiber?"
"I think so, Brain! But isn't a dreadlock hair extension awfully expensive?"
"I think so, Brain. But will anyone other than Eskimos buy blubber-flavored chewing gum?"
"I think so, Brain, but the ointment expired weeks ago!"
"I think so, Brain. But would the villains really have gotten away with it, if it weren't for
those pesky kids and their dog?"
"Wuhh... I think so, Brain! But let's use safflower oil this time! It's ever so much healthier!"
"Wuh... I think so, Brain. But Cream of Gorilla Soup—well, we’d have to sell it in awfully big cans, wouldn't we?"
"I think so, Brain. But if he left chocolate bullets instead of silver, they'd get all runny and gooey!"
"Yes, Brain, I think so, but do nuts go with pudding?"
"I think so, Brain, but a codpiece made from a real fish would get smelly after a while, wouldn’t it?"
"I think... so, Brain... *gag* ...but I didn’t know Annette used peanut butter in that way."
"I think so, Brain, but do those roost in this neighborhood?"
"I think so, Brain, but is the world ready for angora bellbottoms? I mean I can see wearing them inside out, but that would--"
"I think so, Doctor. But are these really the legs of a show girl?"
"I think so, Brainius. But what if
a sudden wind were to blow up my toga?"
"I think so, Brain. But Trojans won’t arrive on the scene for another 300 years."
"I think so, Brain…but where would a yak put PVC tubing?"
Pinky: (talking to his reflection in the mirror) Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?Pinky's Reflection: Why, yes, Pinky! Yes, I am! But where would you get a chicken, 20 yards of spandex and smelling salts at this hour?
"I think so, Brain, but wouldn't an
itsy-bitsy, teeny-weenie, yellow polka-dot one-piece be better suited for my figure?"
"I think so, Brain, but won't it go straight to my hips?!"
"I think so, Ali-Brain! But isn't it cheating to use glue?"
"Whuu... I think so, BrainPan! But if running shoes had little feet, wouldn't they need their own shoes?"
"I think so, Brain. But what if the Earl of Essex doesn't like burlap pantaloons?"
"I think so, Brain, but should we use dishwashing liquid or cooking oil?"
Pinky: I think so, Brain! We'll dress up like biker dudes and infiltrate the "
Hades Ladies." Then we'll convince them to hold a meeting inside the corn palace. Narf! The resulting carbon-monoxide buildup will allow you to complete your energy-making device and shortly after, you will rule the world!Brain: Actually, I was thinking of calling the police. But I like your idea better!Pinky: I’m honored, Brain... er, what was my idea again?
"We think so, Brain! But dressing like twins is so tacky."
"I think so, Brain, but practicing docking procedures with a goat at zero G's—it's never been done!"
"I think so, Brain! But shouldn't we let the silk worms finish the boxer shorts before we put them on

"I think so, Brain! But is Chippendale's ready for 'The Full Pinky?'"
"I think so, Brain! But do I have what it take to be the '
Lord of the Dance'?"
"I think so, Brain! How much deeper would the ocean be if there weren't sponges down there?"


Brain: Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: Whoof, oh, I'd have to say the odds of that are terribly slim, Brain.
Brain: True.
Pinky: I mean, really, when have I ever been pondering what you've been pondering?
Brain: To my knowledge, never.
Pinky: Exactly. So, what are the chances that this time, I'm pondering what you're pondering?Brain: Next to nil.
Pinky: Well, that's exactly what I'm thinking, too.
Brain: Therefore, you are pondering what I'm pondering.
Pinky: Poit, I guess I am!

And just a little more Pinky and the Brain info:

In "Pinky's Turn", Pinky had much of the episode centering around himself wherein he took on some of Brain's motivation for taking over the world. This episode has Pinky becoming extremely successful at ruling at least a town, but of course the whole thing is put through the wringer of Pinky's 'clockwork orange' view of things, hence Pinky's choice of naming the town: "I think I'll call it 'Shiny Pants', because everyone in there will want to wear shiny pants..." and goes on to describe his ultimate goal and the path to get there. Seeing Pinky's unexpected success, Brain is understood to wonder questions similar to many that have been asked for centuries: "Why do people with such capacity for power seem to waste it on crazy things that work out somehow, but shouldn't?"

In one episode, Pinky addressed a group of world leaders, lauding Brain's talents and intelligence to them, and convincing them to give Brain control of their countries. Brain, who was very upset at the time, repulsed the leaders with his anger and rudeness, leading them to rescind their offer. A mortified Brain later realized that Pinky had delivered the world to him on a silver platter, and he himself scuttled the deal. The supreme irony is that the apparently stupid Pinky nearly took over the world using honest and open discussion and talk, as opposed to the overly complicated and Machiavellian strategies Brain himself typically uses, and that Brain himself prevented the conquest from taking place. Pinky has a great heart, and he always tries to agree with Brain, until he's placed in a situation where he has power, and realizes that Brain's plans are morally wrong. At these times Brain is usually left in danger with Pinky coming to his rescue at the expense of his power. In "The Pink Candidate" Pinky ends up as the President of the United States with only minor help from Brain, and gave up his position of power to save Brain from being "Stoned" by the Senators.

And with that I better end this, since it's 1:30 in the morning. I started watching Youtube, and wow, there's even a spliced video of what would happen if the Enterprise came upon the Death Star (Star Trek vs Star Wars). Amazing what you can find. And waste your time watching. So have a good night!

1 comment:

The Haws Family said...

Kami--you are awesome. I love animaniacs, and I love the quotes you posted. Did you know that 50 years ago people laughed on average 18 minutes a day, which is the equivalent of ten minutes of intense rowing. And now people laugh on average less than 6 minutes a day. Oh yeah, the reason why I thought that pertinent to your post was because it made me laugh, and as I learned in psychology--laughing is good for you.