Thursday 20 December 2007

Intruders!

I was taking a shower this afternoon and had just stepped out when I heard some noises that sounded like someone was in my apartment. I scoffed it off at first and dried off, but I kept hearing little noises. Elena was in the bathroom with me, and to tell you the truth, I actually became quite scared--enough to close the bathroom door tight and lock it. (Bare in mind, that a couple a weeks ago, when Leo was gone and I and the kids were eating dinner, I went into the kitchen for something and there was a guy standing outside our kitchen window with his face just a couple inches from it. There's bushes out in front the window too, and he was behind the bushes right by the house. And he simply stared right back at me for what seemed like quite a while before turning and walking away. Well, anyway, I sat back down at the table, but as I thought about it more, I decided to call the police, so for the first time in my life I called 911--well actually I just dialed the police station and they transferred me to 911. Then a cop came to our house and really I didn't remember anything about the guy at all--I'm completely nonobservant, and the cop gave me a lecture on calling 911 immediately next time and told me they had received several calls about that same guy in our apartment complex that night.) As the noises continued though, I figured I really couldn't just stay locked in the bathroom, and although a towel wrapped around me wasn't the best clothing to confront an intruder, I finally opened the door and walked into the hallway to see who might be there. Well, a squirrel was in our living room eating a chocolate cookie that had been on my kitchen counter. In fact, there were two squirrels, one was still in the kitchen. A couple of yells scared them away. Here you can see where they chewed their way in. And the tempting cookies that they couldn't resist. Stupid squirrels. Funny thing is that I had been forewarned about these squirrels, the Fellows (you can see their blog under my favorites--The Jolly Good Fellows) used to live in these apartments and had told me all about marauding squirrels. I should have never left that window open.

6 comments:

Annie said...

See I told you it would happen...Squirrels are smarter than we think. They are sneaky, and love chocolate. I can't believe you had one in the living room. Michael used to shot them with a pellet gun, it didn't kill them but it scared them enough. I would get that screen fised. call the office and they will come fix it.

Hanah said...

Kami that is too funny!! I knew you were a good cook, but especially if wild animals are chewing down your screen to get to your culinary delights.:D I'm so glad it wasn't that guy!!

Kayli said...

That is SCARY! If I were you I would probably never have come out of the bathroom!!!!!!

Reminds me of when the raccoon came into our garage and was munching on some marshmallows. Crazy thing wasn't very scared either, when Brett came out to scare it away (I was still in bed, huddling under the blankets). :)

Maria said...

OHMY! So, glad that it was just squirrels. That would have scared the holy crap out of me. You are a brave soul with your armor of ... cotton (the towel.) Sheesh - don't have such yummy tasting treats on the cupboard -

Emily said...

SO GLAD it was the squirrel, I would be freaked if I had that creepy man incident that you had previously. I would have escaped through the window and ran to the neighbors!

Matt and Valerie said...

Wow - I don't think I would have dared come out, especially after having a freaky guy looking through my window. How scary! I hope you guys had a very Merry Christmas.