Tuesday 17 April 2007

Are You Being Served?


Okay, ongoing my t.v. show highlights, my next show is... Are You Being Served? And sorry if this is a bit crude, or some of the pictures disturbing, it's British comedy, what do you expect?!?

So here's the run down:
It is a comedy about the adventures of the very dysfunctional staff of Grace Brothers, a fictional London department store. The series focuses on the adventures of the Ladies' Intimate Apparel and the Gentlemen's Ready-Made departments as they try to co-exist peacefully on the same floor. They try. They do not succeed very often: they are too busy plotting mini-ambushes against each other and leading very colorful lives in the workplace...they just don't sell much of anything.

I used to think this show was funny when I was 10 or 11 because of all the physical humor--people falling over, silly costumes, etc; a friend lent the whole collection to me this Christmas and I have to say, I never realized quite how innocent I was till I watched it as an adult. Wowsers!! Every joke has a very double meaning and Mr. Humphries, well, he describes his sexuality as such when Mr. Lucas dryly comments that Mr. Humphries is still sitting on the fence, Mr. Humphries says (in agreement) that "that way you can see what's growing in both gardens." (Naughty laugh.)


So anyway, here's some good quotes:

An unusual excuse for being late:
"The central heating broke down and I had to hold my pussy in front of it. It was frozen solid."- Mrs. Slocombe, Mrs. Slocombe Expects (Mrs. Slocombe always refers to her pet cat as her pussy.)

Mr. Grainger: "People really seldom curtsy in these days."
Mr. Humphries: "My milkman does."
Mr. Lucas: "You should stop answering the door in a tiara."
Mr. Humphries (smiling): "You've been there early, haven't you?" - Top Hat and Tails




Miss Brahms (upon seeing the new floor dummy): "Is that it? Is that the robot we've all been making the fuss about? Don't look very lifelike to me."
Mr. Humphries (to Miss Brahms): "Well, you don't look very lifelike at this time of the morning come to that."- Top Hat and Tails

Mr. Humphries: "Are you free, Mr. Lucas?"
Mr. Lucas: "Well, you just seemed to catch me in the middle of nothing."- The Club

Birthday gift ideas for Mrs. Slocombe...
Capt. Peacock: "Any Suggestions?"
Mr. Grainger: "I vote we give her a cyanide tablet...no, no, I take that back."
Capt. Peacock: "Good."
Mr. Grainger: "Two cyanide tablets, in case the first one doesn't work." - Fifty Years On

Capt. Peacock complains to Mr. Rumbold about his (Peacock's) lederhosen:
Capt. Peacock: "During our discussion you did tell me that my, my costume would give me the appropriate air of authority. I'm getting a lot of air but very little authority."- German Week

The roof-stranded staff is rescued from a fire:
Fireman: "Right then, who's first?"
Mrs. Slocombe: "I am."
Fireman (shouting down to his partner): "Blimey, Bert, I need the stronger ladder."- Sit Out




Leo's and my personal favorite episode though, is when the staff end up staying at Mrs. Slocombe's house, and Capt. Peacock is in bed and then Mr. Lucas gets in with him, and Capt. Peacock freaks out till he realizes it's not Mr. Humphries. Haaa, haa, ha!

Anyway, I hope you all don't think I'm very crude now, it's just so funny, really I promise. You should check it out from your local library.
In other news, I bought a new pair of running shoes yesterday!! I really like them, and they're not going to be puked on, bled on, covered in MRSA, peed on, pooed on, and who knows what else, because I'm no longer a nurse!!! HURRAY!!!
And you should all go check out somethingsclever.blogspot.com because my sister wrote a post all about me!!! I feel so loved!!! It was very sweet.



1 comment:

Kayli said...

Kami, oh Kami. Did I really come from the same gene pool as you??? :)
Did Johannes ever RIDE in Pinky? That's pretty funny. I could have gone on and on forever on the blog entry about you. I stayed awake for awhile last night thinking about all the things I could have put in there. Hee hee.