Thursday 13 November 2008

The Epitome of a Perfect Man

This is completely random I realize, and I blame my erratic flights of fancy on the fact that I've lately been sorting bleedscrews to earn a little extra money. It's not a terribly exciting job, but I can do it at home after the kids are in bed and it will pay for Christmas and more. Anyways, I was pondering the fact that my older sister Andrea was infatuated with John Wayne. Truly. She thought he epitomized the perfect man. (Well, I might be putting words in her mouth, but that was the general idea.) I mean really, John Wayne had the exact same character traits in every movie so even though he played different roles, it was the same person so to speak, right? So I started thinking of what character from a movie or television show would I say came closest to the perfect man.

It took awhile of pondering, but I decided on Captain Jean Luc Picard. Yes, yes, from Star Trek. I mean really, think about it. He's a perfect gentleman always, very considerate, very wise. Highly intelligent with superb skills in diplomacy and as a tactician (ok I was quoting Wikipedia there). He loves Shakespeare and archaeology. He quotes Moby Dick and Mark Twain. What's not to love?

So I tag anyone reading to pick there own "perfect man" character and let me know on a comment or on your blog.

4 comments:

Hanah said...

Hmmm That's a good one. But if there was such a thing as a truly perfect man on earth, :D I would have to say Charles Ingalls from Little House in the Prarie, came pretty close. He was such a loving Husband and Father. He was a religious man, who helped everyone. He always gave others the benefit of the doubt, and always tried to find something good in people who were otherwise excluded, or eccentric. He was an extremely hard worker, and always provided for his family. He enjoyed the simple things, brought music and laughter to his home. He would give the person in need the shirt off his back. Oh yeah, and he was strong, and had a great sense of humor. He wasn't afraid to cry with his wife, or children. (Not boohooing wailing cries, but simple tears. :D) Though he was firm with his children when those times were needed, he was always patient, and kind, and helped guide them to the right thing/decision to do on their own. I could go on and on, but I won't. :D

Andrea said...

Both Charles Ingalls and Picard (you're a weirdo) are good choices. I guess about the Star Trek guy--never watched the show much. But really, posting a pic of John Wayne on your blog just made my heart go pitter-patter. What a great way to wake up! I threw away all but one pic of The Man when I got married. Didn't want Timothy to get the wrong idea.

Lynn said...

I'm thinking..............

Polly said...

This is one of Andrea's roomates from college (we met once). I feel a little weird but just had to comment. When we lived together we had a door covered in John Wayne pics. There was also a lot of John Travolta from the seventies- (ala Welcome Back Cotter). That was just because one of us found a set of J.T. post cards at a thrift store and they made us laugh. Having watched the Silent Man with Andrea many times I will attest to her intense and deep love of Mr. Wayne. As for my dream movie/tv guy...Rock Hudson- I'm not sure he would be a good dad or cry with you- but ohhh baby he would make you swoon and laugh every day, and that isn't bad.