Wednesday 12 November 2008

Wednesday's Reminisce

I really like that my cousin Cory's wife Kristi (follow that--get used to it) does Thursday's Thirteen--which is just a list of thirteen random things. It's fun. Also Kayli sometimes does Wordless Wednesdays where she posts cute photos. I've been thinking of what I could do. Wordless Wednesdays wouldn't work for me because I never cannot write something. So, I've decided to do Wednesday's Reminisces.

My high school's mascot--The Minot High Magicians

For a little back info--excuse me, reminisce--in high school I always told a ton of stories and well, I still do. Sometimes I consciently try to remind myself to stop talking. Some of my friends, the guys anyway, would always mock me and say "one time at band camp..." I've never seen that movie (American Pie), but I've heard that quote a zillion times, applied to me unfortunately. I thought it was random when this picture came up when I googled Minot High School. This was my 12th grade calculus teacher, Mr. Gessner. He was a good teacher. Too bad his class was just after lunch, leading to many an afternoon nap right while he was explaining the quadratic formula and other such things. The only reason I made it through AP Calc was Ted, a friend of mine who was so ahead of the class that Mr. Gessner gave him another book to start studying from. After the AP test (which I fell asleep in--what can I say, it was habit by then), I asked Ted what he thought his grade was. It's a five point scale, five being the highest grade. Ted was a little too modest to answer right away, but with prodding he finally said five. To which I asked if he was sure of that. He answered with amazing self-assuredness, "Yeah, I know I got a five." He, by the way, took the harder of the two AP Calc tests. I took the easier one. I got a three. I was happy with that considering my slumbering through a large portion of it. Also, I didn't have to take any math in college because of it. Woohoo!!! Anyway, Ted and I had the same off hour and he'd help me through any problems I couldn't figure out the night before on our homework. I had to write down every single little step. He could do them in his head. Mr. Gessner would always call on him to come show the rest of the class how to do a problem when the rest of us were stumped. He's a M.D. resident student right now, by the way. But hey, just to defend myself, I wasn't a completely lost or asleep all the time, just most of the time. Once when I was on the Math Track Meet team, I managed to figure out one problem--it was a logic one, I love those--the rest I had no clue on. Back to Mr. Gessner. At the end of the year, our class gave him a book I had picked up that my chemistry teacher was getting rid of, entitled, "My Friend, The Atom." We crossed out atom where ever it appeared on the cover and wrote in "Derivative" and then signed our names all over the cover. We were such a loving class, no? Fun times. Aren't you excited for next Wednesday's reminisce?

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Math Track team?!!! Oh my! You come from a totally different league than I!

Very fun post Kami! Great idea for Wed.'s. Keep it up!

Kristi said...

it is nice to have a plan for blogging sometimes- but sometimes coming up with those thirteen is so hard! I keep thinking I just need to start a list- with all the things I think of throughout the week, then it would be so easy. but do I do that? no. of course not! fun post.

Anonymous said...

Go Minot Magi! I just happened to be checking out your blog today (procrastinating unabashedly!), and what do you know? Reminiscent Wednesday! I remember agonizing over whether or not to take calc in high school. Turns out that as a Spanish teacher, I think I made the right decision. :)

Brooke said...

Hey Derek was wearing a shirt with that same logo on it today!!

Hanah said...

Kami that's awesome, and such a great idea!! I think that's hilarious about, "one time at band camp..." I too have heard that, being applied to myself. haha I lucked out in Highschool, somehow by my senior year, they misprinted that I had taken an extra math course, and so who was I to tell them they were wrong, especially because Math is not so much my strong suit. :D