Monday 10 September 2007

One Goal Down and Some Family

Random tidbit. My sister Andrea is weird. She wants to name her son Brigham. Her husband totally supports this choice. Their last name is Young. Poor child. She also wants to name one of her future sons Winston. After Winston Churchill. Yeah, she received her Master's in history--her thesis was directly related to WWII, although not Winston Churchill. It was about how views on masculinity changed during WWII; before people like Clark Gable with a much more suave style were the mainstay, after WWII, John Wayne masculine types completely took over.

Which is all very interesting. Even Winston Churchill is interesting. See below quotes:

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.” Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they’ve tried everything else. "

So I told Andrea to read this book,
Troublesome Young Men: The Rebels Who Brought Churchill to Power and Helped Save England by Lynne Olson that I heard about on NPR and she did, but now she wants me to read it because she said it was so incredibly good. She's the one who wants to name her son Winston, not me. However, then again, maybe I will read it.

Anyway, my goal that I made is that I am now my pre-pregnancy weight (just in time to get pregnant again). Here's me in my favorite dress, still a little bit of a squeeze since I'm still nursing but otherwise great!


And just on another side note, here's a picture of my Grandpa John Walburger before he left on his mission. I always thought he was good looking. In fact, I think he's better looking than John Wayne or Clark Gable, which is why I thought of posting this picture.This is his wedding picture to my grandma Olive. My little sister Lindsay is the spitting image of my grandma Olive. One day I'll post pictures for proof.

But for now, I'll continue the line back. This is my great-grandfather Frederick Walburger.

And my great-great-grandfather, Johann Walburger. I love old pictures, they're so fun.

3 comments:

Kayli said...

Don't you have it backwards? Pre WW2, it was the rough cowboy John Wayne type, and then after, it became the suave smart business man type? That's what I had thought. I guess we'll have to check with Andrea.

Those were some cool pictures of our ancestors. I love that picture of Grandma and Grandpa so much. Frederick was a very good-looking man too.

That dress is SOOOOO awesome!!! Great job!

Hanah said...

Wow Kami that is awesome!! Good for you for being able to get back down to pre-preg, but then again you always were a skinny minnie. :)

Anonymous said...

Kayli--you have it backwards and Kami has it correct.