Friday 14 September 2007

Life Comes At You Fast


Last weekend was Stake Conference. Leo and I took turns out in the hallway with Elena, she had been pretty good, but towards the end she was pretty antsy. When it was my turn, I was walking in the foyer when I saw this girl in the hallway that looked so familiar. I was thinking, "Tressa??? No, that's not right, " when she called out, "Kami!" It was Amanda, Tressa's older sister from Minot, North Dakota. (Tressa was my age and we hung out some.) It was so surprising!!! Life is just funny how you run into people at the most random times. Diane (a teenage girl in my ward that babysat for me once) came up to say hi to Amanda and Amanda told me how she had been camp director and Diane had gone to camp with her. I laughed, and said, "Remember when we were at girls camp together and we went skinny dipping in Lake Metigoshee at midnight with Audra and Kayli and almost were sent home?" Amanda, unfortunately went bright red. I guess I kind of stuck my foot in my mouth. I thought it was an amusing story, not an embarrassing one per se. Diane just kind of looked at Amanda with a surprised expression. I just think its ironic how fast you go from being the kid goofing off to the leader in charge. We invited them over for dinner and had a really fun time.
In other news, I started a new job today. NO, NOT NURSING! Why, might you ask, would I chose to do a monotonous job for half the pay of a nursing job? Well...
1) Nursing is icky.
2) I can make my own hours.
3) It's just short term anyway.
4) No one is going to yell at me, order me around, sue me, or even talk to me, except Herman, which is okay because it was only three sentences in 3.5 hours.
5) My boss's wife (my good friend Jennie) babysits for free for me. Well, I'm going to babysit for them whenever they need it.
So what exactly does my new job entail? It's really exciting, I'm helping make corvettes. No, really! I'm not joking! I'm actually doing quality control inspections on a part for a corvette transmission. Basically I look for rust and scratches and sort them accordingly. I don't think I'll do it for very long, but *ahem* I'm not so good at budgeting. For the last ten years I could pretty much buy whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Not so much anymore, and I'm having some difficulty adjusting. (Really, what's wrong with buying two macrame plant hangers on Ebay?) AND I just got this stupid ticket for the city because apparently you have to have a stupid sticker on your car and they don't tell you this stupid law and just expect you to magically know it. I did get the fine waived, but I had to buy the stupid sticker today which was 1/6 of my total spending/grocery money for the entire month which *ahem* I've already gone over that budget this month, and *ahem* last month too. So you see why a job is a good thing, albeit a short term solution, because really I just need to learn that I can't buy that adorable wreath to hang on our door even though it's on half off.

Elena was up for two and half hours last night. What's with that?!?!! IF she wasn't so darn cute, I'd have to throw her out.A Northwest Passage is now open, according to BBC. Random fact of this post: Spain's Moorish past bequeathed the language a wide variety of Arabic words, including 'algodón' cotton, 'alcalde' mayor, 'almirante' admiral. The 'al-' that starts all these words was Arabic for 'the', but the Spanish speakers hung on to it and attached it to the word. So 'el algodón' actually represents 'the the cotton' and 'el alcade' 'the the mayor'. Th-th-th-that's all folks!

3 comments:

Hanah said...

Kami you are soo funny! I loved your ending. I know how you feel about the tight budget. That is awesome that you have such a cool part time job, and that Elena is with someone you know well, and trust for free.

Kayli said...

Kami, those pictures of Elena are soooooo doggone cute!!! LOVE THEM!

and we didn't almost get sent home, you exaggerater you!

The Haws Family said...

Hey, Kayli tried to get me to go skinny dipping once. And the pictures of Elena were ADORABLE! She just gets cuter and cuter. I am so happy for you that you found a job that works so well. Thanks for posting, so I had something to do while taking a break from studying!