Saturday 29 September 2007

Musings

I'm right now in my mother-in-law's study, supposedly trying to go to sleep. However, this is severely hampered by my little rat, ummm... I mean daughter, that would be Elena. I have found it quite impossible to go to sleep when a twenty pound rat, or daughter, is trying out a thousand and one positions for sleeping, even if you are on a queen sized mattress. This is mostly due to the fact that she feels it necessary to lay in close proximity to me. More specifically, on my head. She changes position approximately every 15 seconds, and then in an apparent attempt to sleep, lies quite still for those 15 seconds and then promptly changes position again. She, for instance, laid across my arm, then under it, then lengthwise on top of it and then of course with her feet just barely touching it, before moving to the safer position of full body contact with her feet in my face, moving then to her bum in my face; I protested when she laid completely over my face. She is, at this moment, playing with my cell phone, which luckily, shines brightly in the darkness, thus distracting her from the ever tempting computer. This leads me to another point.

OVERTIRED. My brothers-in-law refuted that this is an actual word this past summer. They claimed our family made it up, or it's some odd "Canadian" term. What is overtired? It's when a child is so tired, that even if they get exactly what they want, they still cry, fuss, and generally are unbearable. It's when they hit the point that the only thing keeping them awake is their own crying. And despite my brothers-in-law's claim that it is a nonsense word, I now have from a respectable source that it certainly is a real term and used commonly--in England. So, really it's just Americans lack of English vocabulary that's the problem. So there.

ELENA IS STILL CRAWLING ALL OVER!!! GO TO SLEEP GIRL!!!!

Sorry, I had to get that out.
Since I left my camera in the car, I stole photos off my in-laws computer to post and spice up the page.
Here is my brother-in-law Alex (Alejandro), in blue, with Albaro (I can't pronounce his name for the life of me, I called him Alfredo once, oops) in white, who is currently living with my in-laws as a foreign exchange student from Bogotá. I think his parents and my suegros were friends. Anyway, Alex just bought this bike and loves it excessively.

This is Nathalia, Leo's cousin, who is also living with my in-laws. She's really sweet.

This is Ana, Nathalia's younger sister. This picture is several years old by the way. But more on her later......much more. But for now I'm going to sleep, as Elena finally fell asleep.

2 comments:

Kayli said...

Kami, I'm glad you posted something, but really, I'm really needing to hear more about what's going on. I hope it's going really well. I love you!
Thanks for letting me hang out with you this weekend. It was great fun. You're my favorite sister with a rat daughter!

The Haws Family said...

It was so good to finally hear from you! It was a good little pick-me-up before I go take the world' hardest test. Okay, maybe not the world's hardest. But definitely today's hardest. Elena sounds adorable---but sorry she's keeping you up! Love yoU!