Monday 3 September 2007

One Time at Band Camp

I hope everyone likes my music I added. I love it--thanks Maria for the idea. I did have several issues with it though. The music search engine definitely is limited, I mean if I wanted to find a Fergie or Justin Timberlake song *gag* , I'm sure I could, but I was trying to find Büne Huber and their album Honigmelonemond (which is one of my all time favorite albums) and I couldn't. Hey, they're well known in Switzerland!!! I also couldn't find my new favorite song by Juan Luis Guerra, although I did at least find some songs by him. Even Josh Joplin Group--a US band--I couldn't find. It was disappointing. I'm still trying to get my hands on some Ghana gospel music (Brooke remember what you said about burning me a copy of Jordan's collection, he is your cousin after all. Hey, for all you out there that might criticize burning said collection, from what Jordan told me they don't really follow any copyright laws there, but then he was rather dizzy with malaria at the time.) Sigh. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. One time at band camp, I mean, in college, I had a roommate that listened endlessly to Britney Spears so I had to play Weezer to purge the air every time after she left the room. It still makes my skin crawl. And she listened to Delilah, you know, that lady on the radio. Ugggh. That's even worse than Britney. I also wish I could read Arabic so that I could read the title of a song off a music video which I have on a VHS tape. That way maybe I could get a copy on a CD. Sigh again. I love that song. It brings back more band camp, umm, college tales. One time, I was playing that video and my soon-to-be brother-in-law came in (he was actually my next door neighbor in the dorms) with my sister and started dancing to it. Wow. My brother-in-law Brett is a pretty amazing dancer, and apparently Arabic pop is pretty inspiring to him too. Anyway in honor of this grand event, here's one of my favorite music videos to watch, Buddy Holly, I think it won a number of awards actually.


One time on Saturday, I locked the keys inside my car. I hate when I do that.

I think Leo's funny. (Not funny looking! I know that's exactly what all my family thought when they read that. It's innate.) I mean, that it's interesting to me some of the things he's so firm about. What really made me think about this happened when we were at the mall last Wednesday. He tried on a hat at Puma, which I told him made me think of Che Guevara. He immediately took it off. I just think it's kind of funny that he's so set against anything to do with guerrillas at all. One time I was burning a CD with music from Buena Vista Social Club, and even though he really liked the guitar playing, he wouldn't let me add a song about Che Guevara. (It's actually more of a Castro than Guevara hat, isn't it?) I guess he blames them for a lot of the problems in his country (I think it's a bit more complicated than that). One time at band camp, errr, when Leo was 14 or so, he was visiting his grandparents' farm and was stopped on a road when he was walking to the neighbor's house by guerrillas. Luckily, they let him go because frequently they force young men to join them (Colombia has the most kidnappings of any country in the world--per BBC). According to Leo, you can tell the military from guerrillas by the boots they wear. Nice.
This would be guerrillas by the way. Here's a little history lesson for you all, FARC, the biggest guerrilla group in Colombia started out in the 1950's as a Communist revolutionary group (like Castro and Guevara) and ended up by the 1990's selling about 80% of the world's cocaine. So just for lack of something better to post, here's a depressing video about Colombia. Since I posted such a negative view of Colombia, here's a tourist video that shows how beautiful the country is (if you want to travel to one of the most dangerous countries on earth.)


Just to balance that out, here's a video of Alberta Canada, my home and native land. And okay, where I mostly grew up, Utah. And North Dakota, where I spent my high school years (and where I hope never to return, well not to live anyway.)

1 comment:

Kayli said...

Kami, this post is exactly why I knew you HAD to have a blog. Interesting tidbits and random recollections and just plain Kami-awesomeness.
Yeah, those were some good times when Brett was dancing on your walls. Who couldn't fall in love with such a great dancer?
I totally hadn't heard that story about Leo getting stopped on the road. Aieee!
And, I can't hear your music. Blast.
Have a great day!