Sunday 9 September 2007

True Confessions

This is another true confession of Kami Sue. I have a box where I keep stuff I was given to regift. Yep. It's true. I regift. Sorry, now all of you who ever receive a gift from me will wonder, "Is this a regift?" Hee. Hee. Anyway, this little sheep was in that box, it's very cute and very soft, and a perfectly fine gift to go along with some baby clothes, the only reason I wasn't planning on keeping it was that Elena already had several stuffed little animals. So anyway, I was getting into that box the other day and Elena was, ummm, helping me? (In other words, scattering the contents across the room.) When she saw the little sheep though, she immediately pulled it out and started cooing and hugged it really tight. It was so adorable!!! It has a little bell inside it and she kept shaking it and then hugging it. I didn't have the heart to put it back in the box. And two days later she still loves playing with it (for two minutes at a time, that is.) And to explain, I left the tag on because she likes to chew it off. Another true confession: I think I'm more of a neat freak than I ever thought I would be. My mother has nine children. Yep, nine. Her house is and always was spotless. It's one of the cleanest homes I've ever been in. I would eat off a bathroom floor there and not be bothered. She did not tolerate dirt, specks of paper on the floor, cobwebs, streaked windows, nada. Everything was always spotless. Which is pretty impressive with nine kids, however, as a kid, I always thought, "I'm never going to be that way when I grow up!" Who wants to spend all their time cleaning? Yuck! Plus all the contention caused by bookbags and coats thrown on the floor and Mom shouting at us to pick them up, and do our chores, make our beds, pick up our clothes, do the dishes, etc. and kids arguing back that they have homework to do, and the bed is just going to be slept in again tonight so why make it, and they have to go to work, and if she wants it clean then she should clean it, ad infinitum, or the Kayli trick, pretending to be asleep on the floor so Mom feels sorry for her and makes a certain other sister do the dishes for her even though Kayli should have been doing them. Errrr. You get the idea. Anyway, the other day I cleaned my bathroom and kitchen and it was the best day of my week. Yep, it felt soooo good to have them clean. Ahhh, it was like the feeling when monks meditate and reach enlightenment. I'm sure that's how it must feel anyway. So am I going to be like my mom and always have a spotless house? Nah, I doubt it, she has twice my energy and not an ounce of my laziness. But I sure do appreciate a clean house. On the other hand, I absolutely hate having a dirty car and despite my sister Amy's assertions that once I have kids my car will not be as clean as it usually is, I doubt I'll ever let my car get very messy with crumbs and other stuff. Weird, eh? But then, I don't have many kids yet....

3 comments:

Hanah said...

Hey Kami,
You are so funny, Sometimes it just works out that someone else would like that gift or even use it more than you would. The only time I think it might be bad to regidt is if you accidentally give it back to the same person, or it's a used toothbrush or something gross like that. :) Sounds like you do it with taste, so I wouldn't worry. :D Totally off topic, but I was wondering when you were Activity Day leader, where did you find those really cute Articles of Faith posters?

Kayli said...

HOW DARE YOU. I *WAS* ASLEEP.

The Haws Family said...

Asleep my foot. I tried your tactic once and everyone just laughed at me and told me I wasn't kayli. What in the heck does that mean? (because what it very plainly means, of course). Kami...I feel opposite of you right now. Our apartment is definitely NOT like moms house, and I just keep the bathroom clean(I can't stand dirty bathrooms) and avert my eyes when I see dirt in corners and dirty floors. But actually the girls keep it fairly clean. With 12 of us now, the floors get dirty really fast, but such is life, and I have just learned to wear shoes everywhere---quite unlike mom's house where you have to take off your shoes to go inside. Heehee.