Sunday 20 June 2010

YW Fundraiser

Last night was our YW's fundraiser. It was a dinner and dance that was 1950's themed. I am worn out. Seriously. It was a lot of work and can I just say that I really hope I wasn't completely flakey when I was a teenager. I mean, I don't know, not having an adult perspective, but when we have an 18 yr. old whining about having water and not something else and has no concept that we were worried about breaking even on the money, let alone, making some, I just really wonder about kids--I mean she could see that no one was there. Yeah, so if you didn't guess, it was a complete flob. We had about 40 people show up when we had planned for around two hundred. And yes, we did break even and raised a little bit of money, but it's not nearly enough to cover the costs of camp. It makes me tired thinking about it. Plus, our DJ wasn't my favorite. I'm really not that much of a fan of cumbia. Not nearly enough varitey--especially of 1950's songs for my taste. It was almost all cumbia (luckily we had put our foot down beforehand and insisted on no rancheros. Ughh.) Plus, our ward in Chicago rocked. It was pretty much any excuse they had to eat and dance they took. Mother's Day, Father'd Day, any day--dinner with a dance afterwards and EVERYONE danced! It was so much fun. Umm, not the same here. So sad. Remember how I wanted to sew recently? Well, making poodle skirts for my three girls and helping 14 flakey YW, who spent most of their time texting, ended that desire. Okay, I'm being unfair, a few of the girls were actually pretty good. Here's Ana and the scarf I made her.

My handsome 50's boys.
It was so worth it making skirts for my girls. They were adorable!
Here's the YW performing a dance they choreographed themselves in the poodle skirts they made.
I just thought this was a cute picture of the backdrop we made (we were selling photos for $1--we sold a total of 2).
More of the decorations (I didn't do the streamers or balloons in the back.)And did I mention that our plans for cooking the hamburgers fell through, so then we were trying to cook hamburgers on ONE little round grill??! People were waiting for an hour to eat. Ouch. It was fun watching Elena dance the entire time! She's so cute. She absolutely loves to dance.
Anyway, at least I can say that I fit into my poodle skirt that my mom made me when I was 14. Well, sort of, I couldn't do it up, but I got it on and safetypinned it. That counts, right?

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh Kami! You did a LOT of work! I can see it from the pictures. So sorry it didn't turn out as well as you hoped for..

You are so right about some wards just not seeming to be into "ward activities" anymore. Our ward was the same way a few years back. The activities chairman did SOoo much work. And hardly anyone ever showed up. But eventually after word got out about the awesome activities, little by little another family would show up until there was a LOT more there.

But who wants to "coddle and bribe" all the time. I was so impressed that he just kept at it. Way too much work if you ask me.

But your girls skirts and your outfit and really cute. Seriously.

Kristi said...

I hear you about the youth. put down the phones, and join real life! sheesh.
so hard to plan things and not know how many will turn up. our ward is a lot like that!
cute skirts though! you guys must have a fantastic costume collection!

Andrea said...

Kami--save all the decorations in your spacious store room (ahem) so I can use them for . . . something. They deserve to be used. The gym looked AWESOME. So did the skirts. Isabel's little scarf really stole the show.

Love you.

Megan said...

I am sorry it was not so good a turn out - that is sooo hard!!! Yeah - I feel the same about the youth - flakey. At least it is over and you made some money!!!