Tuesday 29 June 2010

Fancy Riding

Last Saturday my brother Derek was down visiting from Canada so we went up to my sister's house to see him and his family. We spent the early afternoon swimming and the late afternoon was left to some fancy trick riding. First of all, my sister recently posted on her blog about how my parents used to enter and win the Rescue Race at local rodeos around where they grew up. In case you missed her explanation, it's where the guys line up at one end of the arena, race their horses down to the other end, turning around a girl waiting at the other end and pulling her up behind and then racing back. Pretty exciting, eh? So we begged and pleaded for my parents to show us. Which they did at a mild lope with an old mare, but it was still fun. So then ALL the grandkids had to try. Dad lasted for a few then Wyatt took over.

Hours of amusement--till Wyatt's arm became sore.
Eli on horse.
This was the other popular ride. A couple fights ensued over it as I recall.
Ana's getting to be quite a good rider. This was another fancy stunt they were performing for us. Riding under the monkey bars where all three girls dismounted by grabbing hold. Wyatt and Cassidy.Danica, Ana and Katelyn.This was there other stunt they were trying. I remember Kayli, Wyatt and I doing the exact same thing on Brownie at Grandpa's ranch.Wyatt couldn't be outdone. Then just Danica and Wyatt rode--they started loping pretty good.

Okay, nobody rode the goats. But the babies were really cute.

That would be seven kids on poor Fahselle. Isabel, Cassidy, Hailey, Kirsten, Maloree, Anders and Lynnaea.
And yes, Elena never rode the horse but she's quite the fancy cowgirl. (Oh, my cerviche was a huge hit! I'll be posting the recipe soon.)

3 comments:

Lynn said...

HA HA. Love it. I noticed all the coolers piled up on the kitchen. It's so what my mom's kitchen looks like when we all come back home....like this week again in fact.

Great pictures of the horse tricks! My goodness.....all the kids looked like they were having a blast! I am totally impressed with your parents to show you all how it's done. They must still be quite healthy.

Andrea said...

Dad's shoulders look massive in that first picture (because they are). Love it. Love his hands, too. Amazing how HUGE they are. Miriam looked awesome when she tried the rescue race because she was wearing a skirt and it looked very fancy when she jumped up. What a great day!!

We won't talk about how Danica beat both Lindsay and I in a race. Man, having four kids really slows you down.

Kristi said...

I think next summer we are coming down for a vacation at your parents house! what could be funner? I should book in now!