Wednesday 7 January 2009

I Love Lucy

Have you ever had an I Love Lucy day? I just had one. My worst I Love Lucy day ever. Basically it sucked. (Good thing my mom doesn't read this to see my dirty language.) Tomorrow, or I guess today, is going to be worse--when Ricky finds out. So here's the back story. Five years and two months ago, I heard the unhappy news that someone had bought us a table and chairs at a garage sale. I won't name the person, but she played a big role in bringing Leo to life. I was still unwed at this point and happily picking up used and free items for my apartment. The key point in that last sentence was "I". Anyway, I went to go see them and I literally started crying (night shift, part-time college, and planning a wedding can do that to you). They were abhorrent. First of all, it was a glass table top. I hate those. And then it was this ugly, chunky, metal, tubular frame with matching ugly, tubular, metal chairs. I cried hysterically. It was not a pretty crying, it was Kami, emotionally unbalanced crying. I begged, *BEGGED* Leo to let us get rid of them. He wouldn't budge. Apparently, that's a cultural thing--you don't return gifts in Colombia, and it would have horribly offended the giver and since we did need a table and chairs, he saw no practical reason to get rid of them. Chalk that one up as a learning experience of if your wife isn't happy she'll never let it die. Ever. Actually, I thought I've been pretty graceful about it. Besides threatening to let the glass get broken every time we move and almost tossing it out of the house one time when I was the most mad at Leo that I had ever been (not one of my better moments, I assure you), I didn't mention it...much.

But lately, it's been bugging the heck out of me. I think in part because the seats of the chairs are shredding so it looks even more hideous. Also, with Elena being a busy two year old, it is never free of finger prints. Not even fingerprints, large smear marks are constantly covering it, no matter how many times I wash it--on the bottom as well as the top. Plus, I'm just tired of being on hold. I'm tired of waiting for the adoption to go through. I'm tired of waiting for Leo to find a new job. I'm tired of waiting to move. I'm tired of listening to Reggaeton blast down from the neighbors upstairs. I tired of having the bass of our neighbor's R&B and Hip Hop music thumping so loudly that the nails are coming out through the paint in the wall adjoining our apartments. I am tired of having empty planters in my apartment because spending money on plants is impractical. I tired of feeling guilty every time I do buy something impractical. Maybe if I had a timeline, for instance, if I knew in six months from now we would be living someplace else, with a new job, then I could plan for that and have more patience. But six months ago I thought that we would already have been moved by now and I have no guarantee of anything changing. I'm was tired of waiting to buy a new table.

So I bought one. At Ikea. It was a floor model and on sale half off. It's beautiful. I love it. It makes me happy just to look at it. Now picture Lucy trying to explain to Ricky why she did what she just did when she knows they have no money for it, even at half off. (Really, there's no justifiable argument there.) Now picture Lucy trying to unload a fully assembled beautiful floor model table from her minivan by herself and gouging the heck out of it, pretty much completely ruining it. Now picture Lucy trying to explain that to Ricky.

6 comments:

darlene said...

Ouch!!!!

Lynn said...

OH no!!!!

I sure don't want to be in your shoes.

I have been down about so many things falling apart around here these past couple of days. Wishing we could go back to renting like we did for SO many years. So we didn't have to keep trying to float above water through these expensive repairs.

I kept saying.."Where's a Landlord when you NEED one!!!!" Getting really mad about how unfair life is....

And then I read your post. : S

My HEART truly goes out to YOU! I hope you can fix the gouge or something with wood filler before Ricky comes home. (You're in my prayers.) : D

Kayli said...

This was an awesome post, though sad story.

If you're Lucy, does that mean I'm Ethel?

Oh Lucy, you're so fine
You're so fine you blow my mind
Hey Lucy, hey Lucy

Oh Ricky, you're so fine
You play your bongos all the time
Hey Ricky, hey Ricky

Oh Ricky, what's a girl like me supposed to do
You really drive me wild when you sing your babaloo

Oh Lucy, you're so dizzy, don't you have a clue
Well, here's to you Lucy
I love you too Lucy, too Lucy, let's babaloo Lucy

Hanah said...

Ohh Kami, here's what Lucy needs to do, before Ricky gets home she needs to invite some friends over that he's not too comfortable with, so that when he gets home, he can't just "esplode" haha then by the time they've left, hopefully he will have cooled down a bit. Hopefully!! I hear ya though on putting up with so many things and not knowing when they will ever come to an end! Good luck!! I want to see a picture of that gorgeous table even if it does a big ding in it. Now I really don't do this ahem only in serious cases like this, once in a lifetime, haha :D but you could tell him that gouge was the reason it was on sale. hee hee, or maybe not, you'd probably hear some more "Ay Carambas!" :D

Maria said...

LOL. Couldn't help but laugh that other people find themselves in these types of situations. Couldn't help but cry -- because I've been on an emotional roller coaster for about 3 months now. My poor husband has probably wanted to get off of the ride. "make it stop!" Um .... Hope all went well.

BTW ... Mom told me she ran into your mom in Layton :) Mom said it was SOOOO good to see her and that she looked the exact same!

Megan said...

That was hilarious!!!! My solution - lay on top of the table with nothing but whip cream on you when he gets home. he won't notice the table.

Hang in there!!! Love you.