Wednesday 14 January 2009

Wed. Reminisce: The Infamous Dove Bars

When I was seventeen I was taken privately aside by my father and asked a very serious question. "Did you eat my Dove Bars?" The answer was no of course. I mean I was almost offended. I was working two jobs. If I wanted Dove Bars, I could have bought my own. And I certainly would not have left the box and all the wrappers in the freezer as a mocking reminder of what was missing. Also, the question had been flying around the house for days. I thought I would have been mature enough to have spoken out sooner and admitted guilt, had it been me. But it wasn't me.

My Dad would not let the question die. He proceeded to interrogate every one of his children privately who lived in the house at the time. All of us swore we didn't eat them. My Dad was mad. He had bought those Dove Bars as a treat for him and my mom. And all of them had been eaten. Every last one.

Days went by. Every night at dinner and at random times during the day, Dad would continually question us about the Dove Bars.

Months went by. Dad swore that when he arrived in heaven he was going to ask God who ate his Dove Bars. Also, random comments concerning stolen ice cream and Dove Bars peppered his conversations with us. Apparently he was hoping the guilt would overwhelm us and one of us would confess, or slip up and say the wrong thing. None of us did.

Years went by. Although not mentioned as frequently, it was still alarming how often Dad brought up those lost Dove Bars.

Then one day, Kayli was talking to me while we lounged in my apartment at USU and mentioned how WYATT had eaten the Dove Bars. I was shocked! Not that it was Wyatt--really, I and everyone else had figured him suspect #1 all along (he had fervently denied eating them), but that the truth was known!

Again months later, while home for the Christmas holidays, I casually mentioned to Dad that it had been Wyatt that ate them. I didn't mean to rat him out. I thought Dad knew. Amy had known. Kayli had known. I usually don't know things, so I figured Dad must have known by now. Anyway, Dad visually startled, but being Dad, he let it go. Occasionally, he still brings them up at opportune moments when he wants something from Wyatt however.

Which brings me to an incident that happened yesterday. Leo and I drove to downtown Chicago to go to the Colombian Consul to see if there was any way we could badger them about Ana's adoption. We dropped off a package we were sending to Wyatt at the FedEx at the O'Hare Airport first though (Leo gets a discount there). Anyway the Consul had closed about ten minutes before we arrived (yeah, yeah, dumb us for not calling--but who stays open only till 1 PM???). As we were leaving, Leo commented, "Just like always, it's all Wyatt's fault." I laughed so hard!!! Hee. Hee.

5 comments:

Kayli said...

Ooooh, well done Kami. Love it.

Lindsay Ann Rasmussen said...

When Wyatt and I were first married, this subject of dove bars were brought up CONSTANTLY! When we couldnt figure out what was wrong with me in our first apartment and stayed with mom and dad it was almost a daily thing! Wyatt bought mom and dad some dove bars as a thank you when we left! No, the empty wrappers are still a concern....here AND at moms house! Whenever we are there and theres an empty wrapper, I think out of habbit, she asks who left the empty wrapper. Then she remembers that we are over...

Lynn said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooke said...

That is awesome, we have a story about Wyatt and the missing Jumbo Freezies at our house. He opened a box of our freezies and took half the box and then re-taped it so we wouldn't know for quite some time. Good Times!

Rockelle said...

WAY FUNNY STORY!
ASK YOUR DAD Which of the boys ate all of Grandma's Huge cartons of icecream..and then hated icecream for all long time. It was either your Dad or Uncle Monty..I rmember hearing the story though!