Thursday 11 September 2008

Fashionista

I'm really not a fashionista, far from it in fact. The only times I was ever dressed trendy in my teens and early twenties was when I borrowed clothes from my sister Amy. It's the truth, I swear. I like to think that I've become slightly more stylish since then, but I guess it depends on the day. (Really, how stylish can you be with spitup from you baby decorating your shoulder?) Anyhow, last month when I was at the mall, I noticed something. First, it was just one store I saw who was actively displaying this particular product, but as I traveled down the corridors, they popped up in store after store. In fact almost every mannequin sported them, in Gap, Old Navy, H&M, Hollister, Maurices, Abercrombie and Fitch, Macy's, etc. I almost cried. Can you guess it? Yep, it was scarves!!! I ADORE scarves. In fact, I've bought ones off and on since high school. However, I've never had the courage to wear them. I just didn't think I could carry them off. Now, I plan on wearing one every day. Hee. Hee. Kayli, the wonderful, beautiful, and kind sister that she is, bought me one for an early Christmas present. What do you think? Is it me or what? My mom, when I was excitedly telling her my discovery, said that she could see me as a scarf person. :) Ah, bliss. Now only if hats were to come back in style... I really would cry then! Here's a little hat education for you as my small effort to bring them back. What you probably already know is that this is a beret. I love them. They're always in style. (Depending on where and when you wear it though.) I have three. My white rabbit fur one I wear all winter. This is a pillbox style hat. It's not in style. I love them too. I think they can be so classy. I mean, just think of Jackie O. These are bucket style hats. They're probably my least favorite style. However, that fur one and the black one I would wear in a heartbeat. These are examples of mod caps. I like them way better than the bucket hats. Can't you just see me in the pink one?
Okay, I'm not really into fedoras, but this was listed as one--although obviously not the classic Indiana Jones styled one--and I really like it.
And these are absolutely my favorite kind of hat! It's called a cloche. That red one is to die for!!!! I don't think I would ever take it off. Now, if I was going wear a wide brimmed style, I don't think I would wear this.However, given the right setting, I would LOVE to wear these ones. These particular hats are also the most expensive on this entire posting. The white one on the bottom was $800+ dollars. Umm, yeah. I don't think I'll be purchasing those anytime soon.This one is just wrong. This is what gives hats a bad name. Don't wear that. Don't even look at it too long, it might hurt your eyes.Here's the cadet style that is so popular right now. There's a cadet style grey hat at Target I've been aching to buy, but scarves have won out so far in that battle, because as Leo keeps pointing out, most of the hats that I buy, I don't wear. Sad.

Here's some more I like though. I love the grey ones! The fur one isn't really my color, but I love the shape. Another vintage beauty. I would wear this to church if I owned it. Really. I would. Still another vintage. If you haven't guessed, I'd have no problem wearing fur. No scruples there at all. I don't even feel a twinge of sadness for the poor little furry animals. Sorry.
Now this is another vintage 1950's hat. I would love to wear that too. But where exactly would I wear it to? Here in Chicago, I bet I could get away with wearing it to the Botanical Gardens. Maybe.Here's still another vintage one. The only reason I posted this one, is because I actually do own one just like it. Only mine's cream coloured and doesn't have netting. I bought it at a thrift store in Lethbridge.
Now this is the hat I would love to buy right now. It's actually in my price range. ($30) And I could wear it all winter with a black coat. So cute.
This is stellar!!!! A hat and a scarf!!!! Sweet!!! Can't you see me wearing that and riding around on my vespa.
Yeah, I decided I want a Vespa. This one is a beauty. I think it would be great. There's absolutely no way a kid could come with me then. Hee. Hee. Well, I hope you enjoy wearing scarves this year and please, wear a hat. It might catch on.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

You rock!! I love this post. I too have bought so many hats over the years. I so badly wish they were back in style. I use to wear them ALOT to church.

I even had home parties for people selling hats. Unfortunately they also weren't that great. I didn't even know this one lady, who sold hats, but because her friend saw me in a hat often, begged me to host a party for her friend to help give her home business a boost.....so I did.....it was a complete bust! I was SO embarrassed. Her hats were HORRIBLE and ugly! They were not even in style. She only made them all out of jeans and she only had one style. I sure wish I had done my homework first. After a long and drawn out presentation (how long can it be with only one style of hat???) she turned the time over to all 30 women in my house to make their purchases. (Did I mention they were WAY over priced?) No one moved. It was so awkward! So I jumped up and said Who's ready for refreshments?
It was a stampede to the kitchen~!

Anyway...sorry for the random story.

I just LOVE hats and you are a girl after my own heart.
And you look FABULOUS in a scarf. Totally!

The Haws Family said...

Kami, can I just say you are the hottest mother of three in that picture in the world!?!?!! I LOVE the hair, LOVE the scarf, and LOVE your makeup. You are so beautiful. We must be related. Haa

Andrea said...

Tonight, Emeline came out wearing a play hat and Timothy said, "Emeline, Aunt Kami would be so proud." I guess he read your blog.

Also--how did you make our reading blog show the most recent comments?? I keep trying to figure it out to do it on my blog and I am stumped. Call me, babe.

Maria said...

YOU LOOK STUNNING WITH YOUR SCARF!