Wednesday 3 September 2008

In a parallel universe...


I found this blog today and it made me laugh pretty hard. The author listed the reasons he became an archaeologist as:
1) I enjoyed both digging up and collecting bits and pieces of glass and metal on the family farm as a kid.
2) From age 10, when my mother purchased the subscription, I regularly read about archaeology in National Geographic (this routine was tempered by my love of fantasy world literatures).
3) Indiana Jones was one of my childhood heroes.
That was all a direct quote. I would just like to note that I:
1) Had a bottle collection of bottles and pieces of bottles I found on our family's orchard as a kid.
2) I read and still avidly read the National Geographic each month every since I was 11 or so. (When I went to college I was in withdrawal because I didn't have a subscription so I "borrowed" copies from Andrea's TA office. The next year I couldn't handle it and bought my own subscription.)
3) Indiana Jones ROCKS!!! I've owned the complete collection since I was in high school.
Yeah. I'm a dork. But I knew I was meant to be an archaeologist and this certainly proves that. Right? (Okay maybe it's not a complete, scientific guarentee but close enough.)
He also mentioned that over half of the grad students in archaelogy were usually huge LOTR and fantasy lit fans. Hmmm.... I find that rather amusing too.
Anyway, I must be off to work on Isabel's baby book. Chau.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Yup! I would say it's meant to be. : D
P.S. Do you still have any of those bottles you collected?

Kami said...

I sold them to an antique store when I was tired off hauling them around. I'm really not much of a packrat. I hate knicknacks and stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge Indiana Jones fan and LOTR fan but archeaology doesnt do anything for me!!!! I am glad you love it though!!! Megan