Sunday 20 March 2011

Sunday Sunday


This is not a Sunday (today is Sunday). It is actually a Coeurs á la Creme with Raspberry Sauce. Aren't you impressed? Well, don't be. Not because it isn't delicious, mouth-watering, heaven on earth good, but because it was so simple to make, despite it's fancy French name. Here's the recipe:

2/3 c whipping cream
4 ozs mascarpone cheese or cream cheese (I used the mascarpone which I had never tasted before, but trust me, it's worth every calorie. Yum!)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp raspberry extract or a couple drops of raspberry oil

So you're supposed to have these cute heart-shaped pans for this stuff. I don't. I just used a round cake pan (bear in mind that I quadrupled this recipe so it fit nicely in that cake pan--if just using recipe as is, I think a regular cereal bowl would work fine). Line the pan with cheesecloth. Then beat the whipping cream till soft peaks form. In another bowl whip together the rest of the ingredients and then fold in the whipped cream. Dump all this into your chosen mold, wrap the cheesecloth around it. Cover it and let it chill in the fridge overnight.

For the raspberry sauce I used:

2 cups of frozen strawberries
1 cup seedless raspberry jam
1 tbls of sugar
1 tsp of lemon juice

I stirred it together on the stove till the jam melted in, and then blended it together. The recipe suggested straining it for seeds, I thought that was too much work, so voila! It was done.
The Coeurs á la Creme is served with the raspberry sauce and then a little whipping creme on top as well. It's kind of like cheesecake but better--it has a lighter density, like an airy chiffon pie and pudding crossed together. And it wasn't as sickly sweet as cheesecake.

See my kids, they are loving it.
Ana ate oodles.
Okay, Sebastian didn't like it, but what does he know? He's only one.
Isabel liked to smash it all up--but still good.
And this is Elena modeling her lovely hair/earring accessories.
Simply lovely, darling.
Goosey girl.
And this is me, modeling the hair accessory my lovely sister made for me.
Thank you, Kayli--I wear it every day.
It's hard to take pictures of yourself.
The end.
Ha! Not the end of the post, just the end of MY modeling. Now here are my two crazies and the two little boys I babysit every Thursday for a few hours (in exchange for my neighbor watching my kids on Tuesdays--I LOVE the free time!) modeling the headdresses we made. They loved them. Ana even made herself one on Saturday. I broke four needles though. Ruff, note to anyone--don't sew through thick quilled feathers, make your kids pick the smaller feathers.
On Saturday afternoon we went here. It was fun. My mom came down to go with us. (She liked the Couers á la Creme too). I thought they could have made it a couple of songs shorter. No offense to anyone, I liked it, I just would have liked it better a tad bit shorter. My girls liked it too and luckily we found a babysitter for Sebastian. I was kind of mad that of course, Isabel had to go to the bathroom during their swing dancing number. I really like Swing.

Also, for any Canadians our there (yes, I am Canadian-but my experience there is limited to the Cardston area), where should we go (hiking, camping, scenic drives, etc) when we go up in August? Ideas we were considering included Banff, Jasper, Head-Smashed-In, Writing-on-Stone, Waterton of course, maybe into BC--the hot springs and vineyards areas, but of course, as time and money permits--so what would my true-blue Canadian relatives suggest? That is the question. I've only been to Waterton, and once, the Calgary Stampede. Bear in mind, it will be towards the end of August and I have horrid flashbacks to the photographs of Amy and Megan in Waterton with two feet of snow on Aug. 21st. Leo and I really despise the cold. I know we're wimps. Whatever.

And now goodnight and really the end.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Love the headband Kayli made you. So awesome. Totally suits you.

And the BYU group is coming up here on their Canadian tour. Can't wait. Thanks for the heads up on the length of the show. Maybe we should sneak in some popcorn.

Oh......and can't wait to try that dessert of yours. Although......I am a HUGE cheesecake fan. So I hope it's as good as that.

And yup......all those places you plan on going in August are GOOD ones!!! You'll love it. Although, you might want to check out Dinosaur Park in Brooks or Drumhellar if you are near those areas.

http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/

http://www.brooks.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Hid=87&Subid=206&Preid=87&Itemid=206

Brooks has some awesome trails....although they've moved most of the display stuff to Drumhellar....so you'll have to decide what you want to do more. ; D

And don't worry about snow.....that is only a freak occurrence that time of year. Usually it's an Indian summer.

Kayli said...

Awww, that headband is so cute on you with your curly hair!!

Kristi said...

when are you coming up here? if it is when we are coming down there we should house swap! and you could go to west edmonton mall. and see the sheep that eat the grass here. and not much else to see this far north. hmm. maybe stay in southern alberta and see the cool stuff there.