Tuesday 1 March 2011

Once upon a time...

Once upon at time, way back in high school--my senior year to be exact--after deciding to go to Utah State, I told all my friends I was going to go Utah State to marry an Idaho farm boy. Like this.And live on a farm like this.In this town. Yes, this town exactly. It's Preston, Idaho. I don't know why I said that. Just for fun really. And the only reason I even remembered Preston was because we stopped there once and bought Creamies at a gas station. I could just as easily have said Ennis, Idaho, where we stopped to buy beef jerky, (and Ennis has a cool fisherman sculpture) but whatever.This was before Napoleon, so Preston was unheard of at that time.But I didn't. Instead, I married a hot Latino from here.Bogotá.

Here's another picture that better demonstrates it's immensity.

Anyway, the point of this post is really lame. My sister, Andrea, was discussing baby names and it reminded me of some of my favorite names that I will never, ever use now. So this is the list of baby names I would have used if I had married an Idaho farm boy and lived in Preston:

Alice
Evelyn
Margaret
Willa
Lara
Cora

Taber
Chet (Leo mispronounces this with dreadful results--there's no way I could ever use this name.)
Terence
Simon
Tristan

That's all. Yes, I know, not a good ending to once upon a time. Sorry. But I guess I could tell you our next top picks. That probably won't make up for my continued rambling, but truth is, I don't want to go wash the dishes. Hee. Hee.

Sofia Luisa
Nicolas Orlando

After that:

Jules (Julius/Julian) Matteo
Eva ?
Violeta ?

Well, now I really must go wash dishes.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

My favorite is Willa. I've tried to add that to my list several times but Timothy's horrified response each time I brought it up made it pretty clear that a Willa won't happen for us. Too bad though--gorgeous name. Alice and Taber are my other two favorites. Really, I'm pretty sure Taber could be a Hispanic name. Really, really.

My favorite name I'll never get to use for a girl: Flannery. Timothy HATES it. I think it is beautiful and elegant and literary. Oh well.

Kayli said...

I thought that was a very good story. I love the name Chet.