Monday 18 August 2008

What I've Learned About Renaissance Faires

Yes, the Faire was fun. Yes, we all enjoyed it. Would I go again? No. Let me explain.

#1 thing I loved about the Faire: the costumes.

#1 thing I hated about the Faire: the costumes.

No, it wasn't the wench-with-bosums-hanging-out costumes that really got to me (of which there was plenty. Oh, and just for the record, if your over, say, 75 or extremely obese, that look probably is not what you should go for. Just FYI). But apparently, a lot of the people who come to Renaissance Faires and really get into it, have their own "character" and many come and kind of play a live version of Dungeons and Dragons, or something of that sort--Renquest is what it's called actually. Well, that's all fine and good if they stuck with Renaissance era clothing. However, it actually is more of a fantasy LOTR's type of a thing, mixed with mythical characters, and for some unknown reason belly dancers. How does belly dancers get looped into all of this? Maybe because they're a little exotic? However, I didn't see any males dressed as nomadic herdsmen or Turks or anything of the sort, which also would be exotic, so I don't know. Anyway, if they wore costumes like that back in the real Renaissance they would have been thrown in jail, I'm sure. Also the only place they should wear costumes like that in public nowadays is if they really are "exotic" dancers.

Second, I found it annoying that despite the high cost of admission, all the rides for the kids (and there were many) were all two dollars, three dollars, six dollars, etc. So every five seconds I was hearing, "Can I go on the pony ride?" "Can I go on that ride?" "Can I go in the fake battle?" etc. etc. All of which I had to answer with, "No, I don't have the money." We did pay for Ana and Elena to go on one ride, but Elena started crying and they stopped the ride so Elena could get off. We paid for Ana on another one and then she helped with a third.

Also, we left two shows (not the rated PG-13 one either) because they were so lewd. Umm, that wasn't what I was expecting in Robin Hood show. Errr....

Lastly, they had a rule of no outside food or drinks. I have to admit that I smuggled in our lunch and water in our stroller. It's handy for things like that. Haven't they ever heard of people on a budget??!?!

So there you have it, all of what I've learned about Renaissance Faires.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Oh. That was definitely good to know. Did they not advertise this function as a family affair??? Why all the lewd shows? Expensive prices??

I feel frustrated for you. I truly appreciate ALL that time and effort you put into your family's costumes. They are just fantastic! Hope there is a ward party or Halloween Costume party you could all use them for again! That would be great.