Sunday 17 August 2008

Good morrow, good sirs.

Prithee, attend me for I will tell astounding tales of our day well spent at olde Bristol Faire.

Okay, well, that was enough of that for me, but here is our day in pictures. Later this week I intend to write several "What I've Learned About....." posts regarding various things, including making Tudor Renaissance clothing. So forgive me for not posting clearer pictures yet of our costumes but I'm saving those for that post.

Our little family, just arrived at the faire. Do you like Leo's sunglasses? They give it a nice period look. Leo was so umm. . . contrary. He agreed right away to wear a costume, which actually surprised me. But he said that he has to "pick his battles" and that I'd probably make him feel guilty till he wore it anyway. (What me?) So then when we got there and people were obviously not all dressed in costume, he spent five minutes at the car absolutely refusing to wear his costume, which he already had on. Errr... We compromised though and he kept his jerkin and hat on for a couple pictures and then wore the shirt the rest of the day. After all the work I put in. :(
A little scenery around town. The place was huge! I don't think we even walked around all of it in the five hours we were there.
A few of the many troubadours, minstrels, bards, and jesters.
Ana was the clever and pretty assistant for Geoff the Jack of All Trades. When she finally sat down after helping him for a while, some one called out in the audience for her again, so Geoff pulled her back on stage where she stayed for almost the entire show.
Here she is holding his assortment of weaponery that he later juggled. Ana said her shoulder was tired after a while. However, Geoff payed her five dollars for her help which he made another little boy in the audience come up and give her. Then he told the boy to get used to it for that's what he'd be doing the rest of his life. Hee. Hee. He also said he would make her any balloon animal she wanted behind his back, but surprisingly enough, that monkey pretty much looked like a dog. Which Geoff pointed out was amazing that he could make a monkey look like a dog.Ana was feeling quite fierce and rather resembles Joan of Arc here. Elena, small but dangerous, with her battle axe. She was crying for a shield too.Around Bristol--everyone kept telling us how cute Elena was in her dress. I do think Ana and Elena had the cutest costumes of any kids there, but maybe that would be a little too boastful of me? Oh well. :) Here is Queen Elizabeth during the parade through towne.
And some of her court on parade with her. Of course, you can't have the royal court without a knight.

Kayli, this picture is for you. Ahoy, matey!!! Other entertainment abounded, as here you can see the falconer, dancers, and others.
We even saw some fairy folk. I have to say that I should have set out a tips jar, whenever I was holding Isabel, I had people constantly asking how old she was. One person walked by and Leo heard him ask his companion if Isabel was "real". Umm, yeah. I've found that not uncommon here; at least five people have come up to me in the last four weeks and said they thought I was carrying a doll. My question is: who carries a doll around??!?!

But best of all was the jousting, which was theatrical to say the least.
A brave knight on his stead.
Ana enjoyed it all.

But her most favorite part was doing this. (Bungee cords and trampoline.) I'm not sure if that's entirely period appropriate. :)
And so, I bid ado. Fare thee well, I must away!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

OH WOW! I just can't think of a better word than WOW!

Your conversation with Leo about wearing his costume just cracked me up! LOL!!!!!!

KAmi, I am Just SO impressed that you went to so much trouble and made such beautiful costumes. They are stunning. And So authentic looking.

I think Ana will love it that you made her dress and took pictures of her on stage. What great memories for her. And I bet she was picked because YOu made those cute costumes. She is such a beautiful child.

I also had to mention that I found it so funny that people thought you were carrying a doll. But it sure proves to you that you have the most beautiful baby with those perfect "doll like" features. Well, besides Kayli's of course. : D *wink*

Andrea said...

Kami, that was stellar. I can't wait for Cowen to wake up so I can show him the knights. He would have LOVED that. Had I known--I would have flown him to your house for the day! :)

Hanah said...

LOL, ahh Husbands! :D That was hilarious! I can totally picture it. :D That's so cool about Ana getting to help out, and be side star. You all looked soo awesome!! You did such an amazing job on everyone's costumes!! I am seriously impressed!