Thursday 21 August 2008

Our Day Today

Today I read a book and then a second one. I did still manage to make a triple batch of granola. Yum.
Then tonight we were invited to a party for Viviana, who just turned one. Latinos like big birthday celebrations I've noticed. Anyhow, her mother came to invite me, which was a process in itself as she doesn't speak English. However, we've always managed to say a few sentences to each other down in the basement while doing laundry. Anyway, I really like her, despite our conversations being so short.

This is Viviana.

We ate cake and the girls had a blast with the piñatas. Viviana's mother is the one in the animal print dress by the way.

Ana loved hitting at the piñata.

Elena wouldn't hit at it, but she sure went after the candy.

Ana had no difficulty getting her fair share too.

It's really interesting to try to hold conversations with people that don't speak the same language as you. I smile encouragingly a lot, I gesture a lot, I laugh at jokes when I have no idea what they were about (okay, so that's not abnormal for me), and I have difficulty remembering the simplest phases such as "mucho gusto" when under pressure. Errr... I actually have been reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish lately and I can understand a ton more this attempt. Unfortunately that hasn't helped me to understand what other people are saying or my speaking skills. I really need to practice Spanish more. Sigh. Marisol was very kind though and so was her husband Santos, who luckily did speak some English. I also met Magdalena and Christian, and oh, I was trying to write their names down so I'd remember but I've already forgotten all the rest. Drat.

Well, on to this amusing photo of Leo and Isabel. Leo thinks it's so funny to wrap her up like a burrito and carry her in one hand. She's literally as stiff as a board. She has really good neck control too, way better than most babies her age. My theory is that since Elena and her were both breech for so long, they developed more neck muscles because they weren't jammed down in the pelvis with only their legs to kick. It's a thought anyway.

And here's Isabel sticking her tongue out at all of you!!! Hee. Hee.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh man! It looks like you have some awesome neighbors!
Love the photo of your littlest one with her tongue out. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Tell Leo he is making me nervous = no carrying my neice that way!! Sounds like a fun party - I'd like that - a party where you don't have to talk to anyone because you can't understand them anyway!
MEgan