Thursday 6 December 2007

Everything Is Illuminated

"I will be truthful and mention that before our rigid search... ...I had the opinion Jewish people were having *** between their brains. Primarily, this is because all I knew of Jewish people... ...was that they paid Father very much currency... ...in order to make vacations from America to Ukraine. I was of the opinion that the past is past... ...and like all that is not now, it should remain buried... ...along the side of our memories. But this was before the commencement of our very rigid search. Before I encountered the collector... ...Jonathan Safran Foer." --AlexThis would be Jonathan. Everything Is Illuminated was my favorite movie this year. Granted it didn't come out this year, but I watched it this year, and every time I watch it again, I like it more and more. It's not really a movie I would recommend to everyone. In fact, my little sister Kayli watched it with me and commented on how we don't like the same kind of movies at all. This is true.

It's a wonderful Family History movie. Someday, if I ever teach a Family History class, I plan on showing clips from this movie. (Edited of course.) The movie is about these three people, Alex, Jonathan, and Alex's grandfather. They drive around in this little blue car lookinf for Jonathan's grandfather's village that was destroyed by Nazis in WWII. (A lot of the movie is in Russian. FYI) Here's an example:

Jonathan: I'm a vegetarian.
Alex: You're a what?

Jonathan: I don't eat meat.
Alex: How can you not eat meat?
Jonathan: I just don't.
Alex: [to Grandfather, in Russian] He says he does not eat meat.
Grandfather: [to Alex, in Russian] What?
Alex: No meat?
Jonathan: No meat.
Alex: Steak?
Jonathan: No...
Alex: Chickens!
Jonathan: No...
Alex: And what about the sausage?
Jonathan: No, no sausage, no meat!
Alex: [to Grandfather, in Russian] He says he does not eat any meat.
Grandfather: [to Alex, in Russian] Not even sausage?
Alex: [to Grandfather, in Russian] I know!
Grandfather: [to Alex, in Russian] What is wrong with him?
Alex: What is wrong with you?
Jonathan: Nothing, I just don't eat meat!

The grandfather who is responsible for driving them around, believes he is blind, hence the dog. My quote of the month is about this dog. By the way, if this picture offends you, you probably shouldn't watch the movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happened upon your page while looking for "Everything Is Illuminated" (which is a great movie btw) and had to tell you I like some of the music in your playlist...good mix of different genres. Take care...

-Donald