Monday 29 November 2010

I love hats.

I love hats. I have six hats hanging in my room right now that I wear fairly regularly depending on the season. And now I finally figured out why.
I guess I'm seeking attention. Middle child angst? Well, maybe, but that's not actually the reason I was going to name."Hats are now enjoying something of a resurgence among hipsters and fashionistas, with fedoras, cloches, and fascinators showing up on people in the business of being noticed. The paradox of a hat is that it simultaneously conceals and calls attention to the wearer—the very definition of a glamorous accessory. (Think also of sunglasses, fans, and cigarettes.)"


You can read the full article here. Also scarves would fall in that category.
It's the glamour.
How often does any stay-at-home mom get to feel glamorous? Umm, not very often at all. I like dressing up. I'd like a little glamour.
Don't believe the part about hats' resurgence?



Okay, she's about to be part of the British Royal family, which really doesn't count because when don't they wear hats? Whatever. I could have posted Paris Hilton and Victoria Beckham, but couldn't bring myself to.
I love this last look. Carla Bruni was named the "Best Hat Wearer" of 2010. You can read the full story here if you'd like. And if you're curious, those over-the-top hats were from Arturo Rios. It's amazing what some people will wear on their head (ahem, Sarah Jessica Parker.)
By the way, if anyone wants to get for me Hats: An Anthology by Stephen Jones, feel free."All fashion makes a promise of transformation, but with hats that promise is especially potent. The face and head represent the self, so by framing, concealing, or decorating them a hat can change who we appear to be. It's not surprising, then, that hats are used in uniforms and religious dress or that hats went out of style in the let-it-all-hang-out period in the late ’60s and early ’70s."
And again, the link to that article. These last hats are from Louise Green Millinery. More sedate than the last batch, but to each there own.
And here is another link to a slideshow of some amazing, homemade paper hats.
These last hats are from the milliner, Philip Treacy.
Now here's the best part of this long, probably dull post--the hats I would buy if I could. I love this one, seriously.
Can't you picture me in this?
This might be stretching it, but hey, I saw people wearing hats like that in Chicago.
Maybe I'd have to tone it down for Provo with this instead. Since Provo is the fashionista capital of Utah, right? Oh wait, there's NO interesting fashions in Utah. (I miss watching people in Chicago.)
Love, love, love it.
Okay, this isn't really my favorite style. I just love that it's red. Anyway, these hats are from ASOS, and are actually very reasonably priced. Check it out here, eight whole pages devoted to hats. :)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I LOVE that quote.

And especially this post. You and I think SO much a like when it comes to hats, scarves and glamour. ; D

Thanks for this post! Now I am going back to it again and rereading all the links.