Saturday 20 November 2010

Colombian Comida Parte Dos

First and foremost, the best thing about Colombian food: Crepes and Waffles. Okay, I know I've posted extensively about Crepes and Waffles before, but seriously, it's the best food I've ever eaten.

Again, if you ever, ever have the chance to eat here. Jump on it. And then go back every possible time you can.
Peering in through the windows, you could see most places selling food that looked like this though--chorizos, plataños, papas criollas, y arepas. Arepas--the thick bread on the upper right corner of the grill, was not my favorite, but I ate them almost every morning for breakfast. They were alright with guava paste and steaming hot. There are some McDonalds though. We didn't eat here. Blah. But it was around the corner from our adoption lawyer's office.Leo loves this corn. I'm not such a big fan. It's okay though. I really don't like corn-on-the-cob American style that much either.
Mangos however is a whole different tale. I could eat mangos constantly. Every time we passed a street vendor selling mangos, I'd give Leo this suffering look, like I might die without mangos.
This just reminds me of Colombia--all the little panderias on every corner selling all sorts of bread.
Soup. This is actually what most people in Bogotá ate contstantly. Not that appetizing to me.
I've eaten the above soup so many times, and so many times too many.
Now back to the good stuff. They cook the best meat. EVER.
However, the image of a cows' heads hanging from hooks, is forever locked in my memory, much like this photo here. I never saw a pig's head, just several cows.
Ah, but it's so good. And so completely devoid of vegetables. I was craving vegetables like crazy by the time we flew home. I guess I'm a true carnivore though, because really, I would never pass up this tabla.

No comments: