Tuesday 23 November 2010

Cartagena Slums

One of my most vivid memories of Colombia is the day we flew in to Cartagena and once arriving at our condo, we immediately changed and caught a taxi to go to church. The driver took a LONG route, I think to charge us more, and what we passed for miles and miles were the slums of Cartagena.
I've never in my life seen a place like this before. South Chicago doesn't compare. Bogotá didn't compare. These pictures are exactly what I remember, with here and there kids playing soccer among the garbage. Pigs wandering around. And a couple of donkeys.
Many of the houses were flooded like this one. I think since it was so close to the beach, it just depended on the tide and storms. But you could see people inside--through the gaps in the boards.
There were fishermen like these around all over too. It was another surreal experience, and we were just driving by in a taxi. Makes me think that I really do have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Hanah said...

Wow Kami, I can't believe that is for real, truly we are soo blessed! Thanks for sharing!!

Gary said...

I remember seeing these slums looking out the plane window flying into Cartagena. It's incredible how close in proximity the rich and poor are. It's a punch in the gut to most American's who live in well abover average conditions. I definitely have a lot to be thankful for.