Saturday 2 May 2009

First Time for Everything

I don't know if I've mentioned this on my blog before or not, but when we first realized that we would still be here in Chicago for much longer than we had hoped, I decided I was going to take advantage of it. So basically, I looked up every free concert, event, play, etc. that looked remotely interesting and marked them on my calender. My kids are going to have one busy summer. I mean there are so many events here for free it's crazy. We are going to live a t Millenium Park, well--for as long as I can keep up with paying for parking! Anyway, while exploring the possibilities, I discovered a theater that didn't have $100+ tickets and I decided to try it out. So with Leo's approval, we went to our first contemporary dance performance ever.
It sounded really interesting, "the show will exhaust all physical options when contemporary dance, hip hop, ballet and acrobatics are left to the gentlemen." Also had a choreographed fight scene. That hooked Leo. In reality, I think we went to our first and last contemporary dance performance. Yeah. It was definitely a different experience, very artsy and hip, yet I guess we're not hip. There was a narrator and he talked about how men are defined by their actions and the inner id, super ego and ego. Umm, yeah. Here's a taste from the director's notes, "We all crave to be the best in our classification, which drives us toward needing classification." From that, you can pretty much get a sense of the whole narration.
I'm not saying that some of it wasn't cool. Leo and I both liked the intro part where the guy was making faces into a laptop's camera and it was being projected onto the floor. And a few of the dances were really good. But overall, they all blended together. Ana (yes, we took her) asked rather loudly during the ballet part, "Shouldn't it be a guy and a girl doing that?" My thought exactly. Hee. Hee. Anyway, as Leo stated afterwards, "Well, at least it's different than going to a movie every time we go out." Different indeed. And another reason why I love my husband.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I probably would have loved it. I am always interested in current ideas of masculinity. Plus, I love choreographed/mod dance.