Sunday 17 May 2009

Sunday's List of Stuff

1. I had my hair cut and highlighted on Friday but I didn't like any of the pictures I took of myself so you don't get to see.

2. I also went garage sale shopping, since it was the city-wide garage sale weekend. I bought some nice things, gloves for Ana this winter, a couple of Christmas presents, pajamas for Elena and Isabel. But half the shirts I bought for Ana were too tight, and I didn't find a coat for her. I needed more time to look more, but we were rained out. (My friend Jenny and I went while Leo watched our kids.) Ruff.

3. Saturday was CRAZY! We went to the Public Works Day, where the kids were able to ride around in a street sweeper, go up really high in a cherry picker, and learn about recycling. We also had a free lunch--hotdogs and chips.

4. Then we went to this dance performance down in Chicago. It was called Mi Familia, My Dance by the Luna Negra Dance Theater. It was fantastic!!! Remember how we swore off modern dance after our last try? Well, we take it all back. Leo and I were both laughing out loud in parts of it. Plus it had all these Latino rhythms, how can you not love that? 5. We took the whole family to that dance performance, Elena was mesmerized. At one point she slid of her chair and started to dance too, but then changed her mind and decided there was too much to watch instead. So fun. Ana loved it too!
6. This is Ana (back row, farthest to the left) at her concert on Wednesday night. It was patriotic themed, if you can't tell.

7. This is Isabel thinking that she should be walking already. Hmm... I don't know about that. I like her all cute and cuddly and in one place. Well, she crawls already, but at least that's not running.
8. But isn't that grin adorable?

9. Oh, and back to Saturday night, we went to a dinner at the church for Mother's Day. We had arroz y pollo y refried beans. And a Mariachi band came and played. Sweet.

10. We ducked out during the Mariachi band because Hermano Franco let us drive his truck. The hood of his truck is taller than me. And he said those were his small tires. Leo drove across the church lawn. (Don't worry, he was properly chastised by me.) That thing was crazy!

11. Then we went back in for dessert and to help clean up. However, after the tables were all put away that's when the DJ started and the party really began!!!! Let me just say, I LOVE the Spanish ward, and I'm never going back to an English one. It was seriously so much fun. Elena was dancing like a maniac. And Leo taught Ana to meringue. Head banging to Mana es mucho divertido tambien. And Leo's air guitar is fabuloso!! It was also the first time I've ever heard Achy, Breaky Heart sung in Spanish. When the Obispo turned on the lights to end the dance at 10 PM, the YW's presidency and Primary presidency were among those shouting for another dance. Which led to a everybody dancing like crazy to Shake It, as the Obispo gave in. Wow. That's all I can say.

12. Elena also has a new boyfriend, Hansel. He's thirteen. She danced with him several times last night. And today in the car when we said he was coming over for dinner, she said, "My Hansel!" Hee. Hee.

13. So today we had Hansel's family, the Puertacarreros, (I'm not sure on that spelling) over for dinner. I tried to make this nice meal on Sunday, and I made Leo and the kids pick up the house--because we were gone all day yesterday, but I overdid it. I should know that Sunday's the day to rest and I got what I deserved. Everything that could go wrong did. I made spagetti, and first of all, I didn't have spagetti noodles. Then I didn't have Worchestershire sauce (it makes the sauce). Then I had to throw the first batch of breadsticks out because I added too much flour. Then I killed the frosting on the cake. And just so you know, putting a frosted cake back into the oven, won't melt the icing and make it look pretty again. (It was supposed to be more of glaze.) It just makes the frosting boil underneath, but the top of the frosting just hardens more and it looks more ugly. Ruff.

14. The best news of all this week though, was that we FINALLY WENT TO COURT!!!! And Ana's adoption was approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So as of July 8th it will be official. (Not till then because of an interim period--despite the fact that she's been living with us for 1 1/2.) We went Las Tablas (a Colombian steakhouse) for lunch to celebrate. Ana said it was the best food she's ever eaten. I am so happy to finally have this over and done with!!! Yeah!

15. This week we're going to Nauvoo. I am so excited. I already love my summer of soaking up Chicago.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Loved this post! You always have the most interesting things to see and do in your town.

Sorry about the ruined dinner. How did you make Spaghetti if you didn't have Spaghetti noodles?? Tell me your secret. : D

Congrats on the adoption finally going through! I bet that feels SO great!!!

Jenifer said...

Congrats on the adoption...that is totally awesome! Enjoy Nauvoo. It's gorgeous.