Sunday 3 May 2009

News I forgot.

1) Ana is getting glasses. She is very excited, despite my telling her she will only be excited for a week and by the end of the first month she'll hate them. Oh well, at least she'll be able to see. This of course involved taking her to our freakish optometrist (think 60's hippie Vietnam protester who did a lot of drugs--I swear I catch a whiff of pot every time I go there) and he gave me a guilt trip because Ana was not "sort-of" needing glasses, she really needed glasses. Also he told me not to hit his car when I backed out. I have nothing to say to that.

2) I bought a piano--a spinet actually--for $150 off of Craigslist. Sweet. The lady had owned it since it was bought and it was last tuned in 2008, and from the pictures it looks great. I am so excited!!! Not that I can play. But my children will. :)

3) Isabel may be getting a tooth. Maybe. She might be walking before they actually emerge. It's kind of hard to feed her because her appetite is so big and it's a pain not to be able to give her more solids.

4) I just read an article and I tried to find it to quote it better, but no luck, so sorry if my statistics are off. Anyway, this anthropologist was suggesting that it was not just due to our opposable thumbs or walking upright that allowed humans their edge, but actually cooking. Yes, cooking food allowed us to have our large brain mass. This is due to the fact that cooking makes it easier for our digestive system to extract the nutrients from the food; basically we're using food more efficiently and so have more nutrients available with less effort to obtain them. The overall theory was that it isn't that most Americans overeat that is causing increased obesity, just that we eat more processed food than we did thirty years ago. In rats that were fed exactly the same amount, but one group had their pellets ground up, there was a 30% diffence in weight over 6 weeks. Crazy, eh?

3 comments:

Megan said...

Cute cute pictures of the kids! I need to take Danica in to get her eyes checked but I have been putting it off. You can't have too busy of a summer - I thought you were coming to stay with me in July?? We are so excited to see you!! Have a good day!

Andrea said...

Ah, a truly Kamedic touch to this post. What would we do without you telling us about bizarre anthropologists and archeologists and would-be world conquerors. Have a truly Kami day and spend a few hours with a National Geographic. :)

Lynn said...

I am back! You've been busy I see. Loved the girls hats. So cute!