Wednesday 13 October 2010

Random Chemistry Craziness

I was going to upload some pictures from my wedding, because Kayli declared it "Post a Wedding Picture Day." So I dragged out a box which I thought held pictures from my wedding that hadn't been scrapbooked. I didn't find them, although I did manage to wake my sleeping child. Ruff. I did find these. I laughed just remembering them. Plus, it was my ten year high school reunion this year, so it's kind of an appropriate memorial. (I didn't go--who goes to North Dakota?!?!?) So I thought I'd share.This was one of my best friends, Jennie, and I, with our favorite teacher, Mrs. Strube. She gave us detention once and made us wash beakers. She deserves accolades for putting up with our class (umm, us, I mean). Seriously. But then, we did distill alcohol in her class.....
This is Jennie and I in the chemistry lab chemical storage room. Why would anyone let us in there?!??!?! Oh wait, I don't think anyone was around when we went in......
Hence this picture.
This was our chemistry class. One time I stole Kayli's shoe at lunch and hung it off the periodic table. (She had a different chemistry class with Mrs. Strube-dog.) Another time, Jennie and I hung up a picture of Kelly Slater, (looking darn good I might add), that said "I don't smoke pot," from one of those 5 page science magazines that you get in school. We were, uh, promoting not smoking pot (drooling over his gorgeousness). Thomas N. (a really good friend of ours, standing to the left of Zn) got sick of it after a week and tore it up. Luckily we had saved several of the ads from the whole stack of magazines. I still have one somewhere. :) Hee. Hee. Also standing by me in this picture is Johannes, the foreign exchange student from Germany. We were supposed to read the school announcements in this class and we always badgered Johannes to read them in German. He protested loudly, because then we wouldn't understand them. Really, they were much more interesting in German. Oh, and yeah, if you think it's weird that I have a picture with my chemistry class, I also have one with my calculus class. We were tight. Mrs. Strube gave us a bunch of old, old, old chemistry books, one of which was "My Friend, The Atom." We crossed out "Atom" everywhere it appeared on the cover and title pages and wrote in "Derivative" and then we all signed it and gave it to our calculus teacher, Mr. Gessner. Jennie was in that class with me too, but it was after lunch so mostly I just slept. That bad habit stuck too, as I fell asleep during the AP Calculus exam. But hey, I still received my college credit and I never had to take a math class again, so whatever.


**Side rambling: About that same time, Kayli and I had put up a picture of Kelly Slater as the desktop picture on our home computer. He was in swim trunks (he's a pro surfer) and it was a shot only of his top half. Megan came in and saw it and ran out and yelled out to Dad and Mom, "Kami and Kayli are putting por----------y on the computer!!!!!!!!" We all were laughing so hard. Megan has a twisted sense of humor.
This is Kayli, Jennie, and Jen. (Random things with Jen's--My best friends throughout the last 15 yrs were Jen, Jenae, Jennie, and Jenny.) Jennie's a ski bum in NM now, (actually a math teacher--she was always better at calc than me) and Jen's a teacher, married to a minister, with one daughter in Virginia. And well, Kayli, the less said there the better, if you know what I mean. Wink. Wink.
This is where Jennie was banished to from our chemistry class. I can't imagine why--maybe our incessant commentary??? We were lab partners, and we were eventually banned from using Bunson Burners. That was just plain cruel. I love Bunson Burners. Lots of times when we finished a test or experiment (we had a two hour block for that class since it was the AP class and we rarely used all that time) Mrs. Strube would kick us out to the Math Resource area, but we were eventually banned from there too. And the library. Thankfully not permanently at the library because that's where we lived during off hours and lunch and where I slept after early morning seminary every day.
And this is a two-headed cow. Found this picture too. My Uncle Mark gave it to me. He was pretty mad about the whole thing because his cow died (the mother).

Good times.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

LOL! You little rebel you. Love the tour down memory lane. Somewhat like my high school days I think. Who didn't have days like that, eh? My kids had better not. But ignorance is bliss I think.

Megan said...

I loved your old high school pictures and the two headed cow and Sebastian in the garbage can - maybe I can fit an 11yr old and 10yr old in there too.