Monday 28 April 2008

Tidbits


It has been such a good weekend (with lots of yummy food)! Leo was home Friday and we had some long discussions, which is always nice with your hubby. And we had homemade pizza for dinner which was delicious! Leo brought me a bag of chocolate chips (he's sooo sweet) which I mostly at that night, but some did end up in waffles the next morning. On Saturday we cleaned the apartment spic and span which I love too. Ahh, there's just something about a clean house on Saturday afternoons that make you just satisfied with life. Once that was done, we went to the Schaumberg Aquatic Park, which is indoors and had slides and a play area for little kids. It was so much fun!!! We all had a great time (minus the scrapped lip on Ana when she was trying to do a handstand). After the kids were in bed, Leo bought me some Breyer icecream (usually we get Aldi's brand which isn't nearly as good and I was craving GOOD icecream). Then Sunday was just nice with delicious chicken shish kabobs for dinner and Texas Sheet Cake for dessert. Today Leo's plane was delayed for a long time due to weather so we had almost an extra full day with him. I was craving vegetables and fruit when I went to the store last week, and so today I was going to cook eggplant for the first time in my life, but it had already gone bad. And so we had beets with vinegar, steamed carrots with brown sugar and butter on top, baked potatoes, slices of a sausage that was meant for the pizza but Leo vetoed that in favor of ham on the pizza, and a lettuce salad with pear slices, cheese and sunflower seeds. I was in heaven. I didn't even eat a potato because I ate so many beets and carrots. I guess I must be nutrient deficient in something to be craving all those vegetables. :) I remember eating beet greens and beets at my Aunt Judy's house in Cardston (at least I think it was her house--any help on this one? It wasn't the Tudor style house, I remember that too, but it was a house on a corner over in the direction of the church on the far side of Cardston by the reservation and the highway out to Mt. View. Sorry I don't really know any street names or anything for Cardston except Main St.) Anyway, I remember loving them!! And I was only about 4-5 yrs. old. Made an impression obviously though. I've always loved my mom's pickled beets especially, yum!

Ana, however, was not equally enamoured with the beets. She asked us if we would make her eat everything if she was sick like she had been last week. She had gone to bed at 5 PM without dinner and slept till the next morning, mostly she said she had a headache. Anyway, I told her if she was throwing up everything (and not just because she didn't like it) or if she went to bed like she had the other week, I wouldn't make her eat it. A few minutes later she was telling us that she thought she needed to go to bed. Needless to say, that didn't work. Later, while she was taking a bath, she told me she thought she needed to go to the doctor's because she had twisted her ankle at school. (She had been running around on it fine since she had gotten home, and had never said a word before this, of course.) So, I told her I'd take her to the doctor if she couldn't walk. When she came out with her pajamas on, she was limping and said it hurt to walk. Funny, that didn't work either. I think she needs to hear Grandpa say any of his usual favorites a couple of times, such as:

"It's a long way from your heart."
"It will stop hurting when it feels better."
"Buck up, little camper."
"Do you want some cheese with your whine?"
"Well, let's amputate at the neck."

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea. Poor Ana, she has a very unsympathetic mom, and I don't think she's realized it yet.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh my! What a great weekend filled with glorious food! I must go find something to eat now. YUmmy!
That's funny about Ana. Kids will try anything, eh? Mine did.....and still do. They especially hate it when I laugh when I hear their excuses. Oh well. At least they try.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really fun weekend- and now you get another with lindsay. Hope the weather shapes up for you.

Megan