Tuesday 8 January 2008

My Mom

This is a recent exchange from our private, family site. I, as usual, was whining about doing the dishes. (Funny, a sink full of dishes awaits me right now.) And my mom replied:

Kami - I will finally let you in on the family secret of doing dishes~!!!!! Just get up and do them right after the meal -- it takes 3 minutes!!!!! Then there is no piling up, no agonizing, no dried on hard food to get off. Your counter is clean, the dishes put away and you are happy!!!!!!!!! Get in the habit and it is soooooooo easy and fun!! Especially if Ana or Leo is drying and Leo kissing you along the way. Dad likes it!!!!!!!!

That phone is permanently attached.

Kayli saw it first (while she was at my house) and wrote back:

Mom!!!!! YOU ARE HILARIOUS!!!! I said "Kami, did you read what mom wrote to your dishes question?" so she was walking in to see, and I said "Guess what she said," and Kami said, "Just get up and do them." She was EXACTLY right!!!!! HA HAAHAAAAA!But FUN mom? Really? Don't you know it is much MUCH more fun to go out and lay on the floor and put your feet up on the couch and digest for a little while, and then play with your kids, and then put them to bed, and then go do something fun like watch a movie or read a book, and then cry and pout about them in the morning?!!!!!!


Dad, Mom and Anders (a grandkid)

To which Andrea replied:

Amen, Kayli.

Mom and Dad


Personally, I didn't really dare reply.


Mom and Dad again

But Mom wrote back:
Morning dishes are NEVER fun!!!!! I'd rather stay up and do them than have to face them in the morning and try to feed kids and such around them!
And then proceeded to lecture me on the phone the next time we spoke about how her and Aunt LaVerle realized when they had small children it was just easier to do them right after the meal. (So, Aunt LaVerle, are you willing to verify that?) :)


Anyway, I'm going to bed, dishes be hanged.

5 comments:

Kayli said...

How, how, HOOOOOOOOOW did such an one as I spring from such an one as her??????!!!!!!!

Lynn said...

LOL!!!!!!!! You guys crack me up! Thanks for making my day. I TOTALLY could relate to this whole thing. And I am NOT telling which side I am on. : P But my kids and I are no different than your family. (Still not telling which is which though). Love your family. Thanks for posting the pics of your mom and dad. They have NOT changed a bit. Wow! Still the way I remember them. They are so fun and loving.

Anonymous said...

I can verify what my Mom would say Kami. She would say that it's better to just do them right after supper just like Aunt Lori. I've already had a similar conversation with her.
-Shari

Anonymous said...

Your mom is right as usual! Besides,who wants to start off the day already behind because yesterday's work is not done? AND the dishes take twice as long in the morning when the food is all dried on. Aunt LaVerle

Andrea said...

AARGH!! Just admit it Kami--we're surrounded by people who aren't as lazy as us. In the future, to protect our pride, you should just not post anything about dishes.