Monday 21 January 2008

Prenatal Mush

So, since I feel like I've been lying around in muck lately (basically my favorite place is in bed) and I don't feel like doing anything and then when I have to do something (like feed my children) I am horribly crabby, I decided I needed . . . well, normally I'd say chocolate, but that's not appealing in my current condition, so I decided I needed to exercise more.


Yep, I need more energy and despite feeling like I'm going to die (no exaggeration) in a twenty min. workout (mind you, it was a workout I did 4 weeks after my last delivery and laughed at it's easiness) I can't procrastinate any longer. This is all leading up to a very important question. My prenatal workouts videos from my last pregnancy are getting a bit dull, any suggestions for a new one? However, bear in mind that any suggestion of walking for 30 mins or whatever will blithely be ignored as I do not go outside in this frigid, horrid place--at least as little as possible. Also, workout videos are my speciality, considering that if I don't see someone counting out the number of reps in front of me, I tend to think three is as good of number as fifteen, etc. and that's how many I do.

This is one of the videos I do have. It's pretty good, I usually only do one of the twenty minute segments on days when I feel lazy. (Well, this is all describing my last pregnancy, as this time around I've been a complete wimp altogether.) It has a sort-of Latin dance section that's more cardio and then a yoga section, which is not real yoga which is why I like it. Then it has a pathetic labor prep section, and equally lame ab section, and a decent stretch section.This is my true grit-your-teeth workout. I love it! I used it all the time while I wasn't pregnant too and it's harder than my other non-pregnancy workouts (I have a couple Lotte Berke Method DVDs). Only problem for using it all the time is then it doesn't have an ab section, and remember how I don't do things unless someone is counting off? Anyway, it's great, it goes fast and while I sometimes get bored in the Leisa Hart workout, I don't have a chance to get bored in this one.

I also have the postnatal workouts of both Leisa Hart and Karyne Steben and since I'm reviewing, I figured I'd review those too. Leisa Hart's postnatal one is only good for the ab section which is awesome! The dance cardio section is incredibly cheesy 80's style dance junk (she should have stuck to the far superior Latin style dancing) and then it is truly yoga. I don't really like yoga. The Karyne Steben one is nice in that it has sections that you can start right after delivery. I also liked it because it's one of those exercise with your newborn ones. However, downside of that, it's doesn't really work once your baby can roll over I found.

So after all that, again, any suggestions for a new video? There's lots on Amazon, but I've been burned too many times buying exercise videos to want to risk my meager funds on something not well recommended.

6 comments:

Kristi said...

prenatal exercise? what? you crazy lady. this is the time when you can sit and do nothing and eat, and not feel guilty! haha. I have no advice, as I did nothing. ever! haha.

Matt and Valerie said...

okay, so I guess I missed something...your pregnant? How far along are you? Congratulations!!! I don't know if you have announced it in Relief Society or anything, but since I'm not in there,........ I hope all goes well. If you need me to watch the kidos anytime let me know.
Val

Andrea said...

Get Lesli Sansonne's Walk Away the Pounds Four Mile Express--or a Firm video. They're the best--but they kick my heiny so I don't exactly like doing them . . . but I feel like a NINJA when I finish one.

Kayli said...

I think you've burned enough calories typing this post, you don't need to worry about working out, for the rest of your pregnancy. That is my advice.

But, what is the recommendations for abdominal workouts during pregnancy? I could never figure that out.

Kami said...

Umm, in these videos the one lady does half situps while sitting up with her back supported by a pillow, and in the other one the lady sits on a pillow and depending on your trimester leans backwards. It's really strenuous, let me tell ya. Hee. Hee. I like how in the one video it explains how to check for when your abdominal wall seperates and then gives instructions for a modified abdominal workout.

Twylla Gibbens said...

I don't know if you like yoga but I loved the prenatal yoga tapes.