Thursday 31 January 2008

Family History

Okay I have a confession to make. (I seem to make these a lot!) One of my resolutions for this year was to do at least something every month to work on Leo's family history. It's the 31st. I haven't done a thing. And I received a notice today that I have to empty out my kitchen cupboards for them to spray for nasties tomorrow. Joy. Although, I suppose it is better than putting up with mice like the Fellows had to when they lived here.


But, nonetheless, I am going to write one letter tonight to mail off to Colombia. Or rather, copy one letter that Leo's written for me before, look up another parish that's a possibility and send it off. So tomorrow I'll report back. Mass scorn that I didn't do it should keep me focussed.


On that note, I'll tell you another confession. One time in Florida I got in a fight with one of the old ladies working at the Family History Library. I went to the Family History Library to get a copy of the Bevans line that I come from because I was doing an Activity Day's lesson on family history and I wanted to show the girls how cool of stuff you can find while doing family history. And so I was going to show them how I'm related to Pocahontas.
So I knew before I went to the library that the line was on the old CD's the church had out, and that ususally every library keeps a copy of those basic CD's. And I had already looked online but due to the many "versions" online, even on the church's site, it was hard to impossible for me to trace it that way. So off to the library I went. The nice, seventy-year-old lady working there did not understand what I wanted at all. She also did not seem to believe that I, a twenty-three year old, would know anything about family history and the library and the programs the church had on the internet, etc. Basically, the more she tried to help me, the more I grew impatient because I had already tried ALL of what she was showing me and I knew what I wanted. Apparently it came out in my attitude because she grew rather hostile as well. Anyway, luckily, I spotted the CD's I wanted, grabbed them for dear life and quickly downloaded the info I wanted. The lady, condescendingly told me I wouldn't need two floppy discs for the info because "Nobody's family tree takes up that much room." At this point I was pretty fuming too, but I bit my tongue and didn't tell her it was just a portion of my family tree and simply smirked as I inserted the second disc to continue downloading. (I know, I know, I'm far from being humble.) Before I left I did try, (kindly, I promise!) to tell her you can import files into the PAF 5 program from the earlier versions, as she was telling another person there you couldn't, plus she was slowly retyping names into the program from a print off from an earlier version. Anyway, I think she pretended not to hear me. So I guess it wasn't a fight so much. But I think the Spirit had definitely left the room, if not the building.


And just for fun, a cute picture of Ana when she was a baby. Wasn't she adorable?!?!?!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Ana is such a cutie pants!

Lynn said...

LOL!!! You go girl! It's YOUR family history. : D
I am actually surprised that she also didn't try to tell you that you couldn't possibly be related to Pocahontas. My kids have gotten that reaction in Scouts, School, Activity Days.... Whenever the discussion of families or history comes up. (We are also related to Queen Elizabeth). Anyway....some of the kids in Curtis' 11 yr. old Scout troop actually said, "That is such a lie. I know because Pocahontus is JUST a cartoon!". LOL! Kids. You should of seen the looks on the kids faces when I had him take the family tree chart the next week, "to show those kids up" and to prove she is a real person. It was too funny.

P.S. Ana is ADORABLE!!!!! Love her dark gorgeous eyes. Very jealous.

Kayli said...

Kami, that was so very you. ha ha.

Kayli said...

Kami, that was so you. Hee hee.

Kayli said...

I don't know why that came up twice. Should I write it again?
Kami, that was so you.
HA HAHAHAHAAAAAA
sorry, I've got cabin fever

Hanah said...

Kami that is soo hilarious!! :D I'm glad that you found what you were looking for. Ana is really so cute!!