Thursday 4 October 2007

Forgotten Things

A long time ago, in a galaxy back when I had only one child, I was going to post this, but then I was distracted... so here's my forgotten cooking from last month.

First off, thank you Linda many times over for your delicious English Muffin recipe, I made them again last month for Leo and he absolutely loves them. So good!
I also made Butterhorns, a recipe from my Aunt LaVerle, which is also delicious. Whenever I eat Butterhorns, I think of Aunt LaVerle's house--gorgeous flower garden, tasty vegetable garden, sleeping on the wrap around veranda, swimming at the local pool, watching shooting stars at night, playing endlessly that tank game on the computer with Devonee, Brian, and Kayli, walking to the only store in town to buy fried mushrooms and penny candies, reading many of the great fantasy novels they have, watching Cat Balou, eating rhubarb dunked in sugar, and of course, watching Kayli and Brian puke up raw eggs that they dared each other to eat and the ten dollars worth of Canadian candy I hid in Devonee's room, forgot, and then Devonee and Brian ate (rudies!). Good times. Anyway, here's the practically perfect recipe. I half it at least when I make it. Once when I was in high school, I made the unfortunate mistake to double it--we gave pans and pans of them away.
Butterhorns
3 c warm water
2 tsp sugar
4 TBLS yeast
Mix these together, then add
1 Qt. milk
4 eggs
1/2 lb. butter
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 c mashed potatoes
approx. 13 c flour
Mix wet ingredients and then add dry. Instant potatoes can be used. The dough should be really sticky. Let raise 1 hour then roll out, spread with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, roll it up and then cut in slices. Let raise 1 hour more and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
For the icing:
4 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar for you Americans)
1/2 c butter
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt
3-4 TBLS milk/cream
Spread on while rolls are hot. Yum!!! (I usually use this amount on half the recipe above, so I'd double this if using the full recipe.)

My other delicious recipe I made this past month was Moroccan Garbanzo and Lentil Soup. Leo and I both loved it. Definitely going on my list to make again, and again. I actually for once stuck pretty close to the recipe (coincidence in it being so good? Hmmm...) but I didn't have saffron threads, but it tasted fine anyway.

Moroccan Lentil and Garbanzo Soup

2 cups drained, canned garbanzos
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger (I used fresh, coarsly grated ginger)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 c margarine
3/4 c chopped celery
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 c chopped leaves and stems of fresh cilantro
a pinch of Saffron threads, pulverized
1 large can Italian plum tomatoes, seeded, and chopped (I used two cans of diced tomatoes) Juice from canned tomatoes
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup lentils (I added more)
2 qts. water
1/2 lemon

Melt the margarine in a large pot, then cook the spices, celery, and chopped onions over medium heat for 5 minutes--do not brown. Add the cilantro and tomatoes with juice and cook for another 15 minutes. Add the water, lentils, garbanzos, and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered for about 2 hours (or until garbanzos are cooked). Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and garnish with reserved cilantro sprigs and lemon slices. (I made it in a crockpot, although I did cook the onions, etc. as directed, as you can see the picture below.)

Elena loved it too, or at least the garbanzo beans. So, soo, sooooo good!

3 comments:

The Haws Family said...

Those foods sound involved. This week for dinner we've had fetuccini alfredo, goulash, german pancakes, and moms banana bread. Everything took less than ten minutes to make (although the german pancakes do cook for awhile). But they look delish! I remember when you made all those butterhorns. i liked it :)

Linda said...

Kami, You are so welcome. I need to make them again. I think I'll have you email me some of your recipes. They sound and look wonderful!! Linda

Hanah said...

Kami you are so funny! and so Amazing!!! You have such great faith! I don't know if I could do what you and Leo did! I know you will be blessed for following the Lord's will. How are you doing? Reading your blog made me drool, I think I will attempt making some of your delicious recipes, and let you know how they turned out.