Tuesday 14 February 2023

Wichita and a bit of Aug and Sep 2021

I quit my job!  That was my last day or morning (after night shift) because Leo took the job in Wichita.  Another big change was that Andrea and Tim and their kids and 3 dogs moved in with us.  They had sold their house in Ogden and were moving to Maine, but there was hold ups on getting into their new house.  They ended up staying with us for six weeks.  I was stressed about it because we were moving and had to sell our house, but it ended up being really great in a lot of ways and I wish now I had been so much more chill and kind. Andrea was awesome and watched our kids and her kids for us while we went on our backpacking trip to the Wind Rivers (we TRIED SO HARD to convince them to come with us) and then watched our kids again so Leo and I could fly out to Wichita and look for a house.  And then Andrea helped me out so much because Leo started working in Wichita at the first of September so he was gone till we moved there the beginning of November.  
3rd and 1st Grade for these two!
School started in August.  It was a whirlwind of a month.

And another year of Head Start preschool and speech therapy.

This was when Leo and I flew to Wichita together to look at houses.  Getting a taste of Kansas life.

Also we saw this. Hmmmm... I think if you have to make a statement about it, it might be questionable.

We did have lots of yummy food.  And we found this awesome chocolate shop, Cocoa Dulce, which is still one of the best things about Wichita, and we had amazing gelato.  We were unsuccessful finding a house.  But it was kind of crazy, because when we first looked we were amazed at the low cost of housing there and we were like "We're buying an amazing house with a pool!! Yeehaw!" but then we switched over to "We're buying the least expensive house possible in Goddard or Maize with the square footage we want!" So when we flew out we were still in that first mode, and we didn't realize that anybody that can manage doesn't go to Wichita schools because it's a really low economic area and the schools aren't great. There's actually a ton of private schools in the area and religious schools.  And we discovered Andover was super richy so then I wanted to go to Newton, but the two houses we saw there that I liked would have been pushing the limits of our budget, and we switched after to wanting low cost.  Anyway, that's how we ended up with the Goddard or Maize option.  
Random, but we went to Cache Valley in September and Derek and his family had come down so he could run a marathon.  Anyway, this meme was one someone posted on our WhatsApp chat to tease Derek at some other time.
He responded with this picture of a pair of shoes he owns.

And this meme, because he owns a TON of running shoes.  But then, he runs a lot.

Marathon results!  He wasn't very happy because they hadn't marked the route well and it cost him time.

And after the race!  

And Grandma took Elena and Isabel to the temple (I think this was actually in October after Andrea's family had moved out) but anyway, it was Isabel's first time going to do baptisms for the dead.  





Another thing that kept me crazy busy in August was that I decided since Leo's company was paying for our move, that I might as well move full cans instead of empty ones.  So I canned like crazy and filled every jar I own.  I canned peaches, pears, tomatoes and homemade applesauce.

No comments: