Tuesday 1 August 2017

Day 3: Escalante Petrified Forest State Park



I don't have many photos from this day.  We changed our itinerary because I didn't want to hike to Zebra Slot Canyon in the heat after dying going to Lower Calf Creek Falls, and it was supposed to be hotter this day with no nice swimming hole at the end since we only planned on doing part of the hike.  I can't wait to go back sometime and hike Zebra Slot though, and Spooky Slot.  Instead the kids swam at the reservoir at the state park we had camped at and then we continued the beautiful drive to our new campground near Bryce Canyon. But because of how late we got there, and because it was raining we just went to a huge souvenir shop that night and bought ridiculously expensive ice cream at a tourist shop.  That was yummy anyway.  Trust me, I'll make up for the lack of pictures on my next post about Bryce Canyon.   Oh, and one of the things I definitely would have changed about our trip would have been to NOT move campgrounds so often (the idea was to slowly go south). But it was so much work to pack up the camp every morning and then set it up in the evening and it was the most tense too because Leo and I were continually trying to keep the kids on track helping and tempers ran short.  I was always frustrated in the morning too, because I wanted to go fast so we had more time to hike, etc.  Next time, I think I would have just camped here (not very busy, fun lake, nice showers and bathrooms, inexpensive) and spent the time we spent packing up driving to places instead.  I think everyone would have been happier then.  Itinerary exert:

Friday July 14:
  • Hike Zebra Slot Canyon
  • Camp at Ruby’s Inn RV & Campground  (#73623)
300 S Main Hwy 63
Bryce UT 84764
435-834-5301
  • Explore Bryce Canyon


  • Breakfast: Bacon, eggs, hash browns
  • Dinner: Meatball subs, campfire eclairs and corn on the cob
Campfire eclairs were a flop by the way (too hard for the kids to manage), but the subs were delicious.



No comments: