Thursday 14 December 2023

Sturgis Motorcycle Museum, Devil's Bathtub Hike, and Spearfish Canyon Waterfalls

These photos ended up going in backwards.  So at the end of the day, while I cooked dinner, Leo took the kids to the little lake in our campground to go ride in the paddle boats.  They also had this awesome Bigfoot statue.  They loved it!  It really was a great campground.  I wish we weren't so rushed and could have just enjoyed being there more.  Although, with the rain, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

This little lake was owned by the campground. I wish I remembered the name. 

So early that day we hike to Spearfish Falls in Spearfish Canyon.  It wasn't much of a hike, just basically off the parking lot, but the whole canyon was really pretty and the waterfall was beautiful.



Before Spearfish Falls, we hiked the boardwalk to see Bridal Veil Falls.  I liked these series of waterfalls even more.  It was so pretty.  There was a couple who got married there (just off to the side) while we walked by.  Taking pictures is so difficult!





We started the day with the BEST hike.  We hiked up to Devil's Bathtub.  I had extensively planned our trip and hikes, but with the change of plans, we ended up cutting out several days in SD.  So we didn't make it to Hippie Hole, Spring Creek Trail, Flume Trail, or Roughlock Falls Trail.  I'm SOOO glad that this didn't get cut.  I loved it. I love hikes with water and scrambling and just all together it was so beautiful.



The kids were brave and dunked under.  Yes, I may have bribed them.  The water was freezing cold!











We started the day off by driving to Sturgis and walking through the Motorcycle Museum and Hall of Fame.  It was okay.  We all had less interest in it than I expected.  I thought Jubal and some of the boys and Leo would enjoy it, but really Devil's Bathtub beat it out hands down.  Still I thought the museum was interesting and I thought it was cool that they had dress up clothes.  Jubal nailed the tough biker face and Efraim, his face cracks me up!  

Nicolas liked this one the best, I think because it was green?
This Harley is pretty sweet. 
Also I liked this Indian. 
But seriously, this was MY favorite.  Yeah, I may only have pictures of my favorites.  Oops.  



So there was a group of girls in one of these videos you can see in the top left corner of the screen.  I guess normally when the water levels are lower, people can slide down the stream like a waterslide.  However, spring was still super high when we went.   One young woman in that group still tried to slide down and got caught in an undertow.  Literally, all my kids and everyone there almost had front row seats to her drowning.  No bueno.  Luckily, one of the older men in a different group of hikers was over on that side of the creek near her, and he got in and with the help of his very thick and long walking stick, was able to fish her out.  It took a good minute though.  We had a long discussion with our kids afterwards on how you DON'T take risks with water and how to get out of undertows (hopefully), etc.  


2 comments:

Kayli said...

Beauuuutiful waterfalls!!!! Love them!!
I don't know how you can tell that Jubal has a perfect tough guy face, you can't even see his face!! 😂
I think my boys would have liked that museum. 😁😆

Kayli said...

P.s. I'm so glad she didn't actually drown!