Thursday 14 December 2023

Chapel in the Hills and Badlands National Park

The next day was Sunday and we tried to go to church in Rapid City.  Unfortunately, the time listed on the internet was incorrect and just us and another vacationing couple were the only ones in the parking lot.  I made Leo drive back to this chapel, because one of the things I wanted to visit in Minot (before our change of plans) was all the Norwegian buildings at a park there. So this is Chapel in the Hills Lutheran Church in Rapid City.  It was so cool!  I think Norway would definitely be in the top ten of countries I would like to visit someday, simply due to this style of architecture.  
Also, I want to make these and put them in my yard as garden art--way cooler than a globe or bird bath.  

They had a little gift shop too. 

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Yep, way too many pictures of this.  But seriously, can't I make a house like this, just to live in?  I so want to.
After a quick change of clothes in the van we headed out to the Badlands National Park.  

I liked it a lot more than I ever thought I would.  That's actually true for ALL of the Black Hills.  It was so much more beautiful and I enjoyed it so much more than I expected.  Anyway, the Badlands were weird because I'm so used to Southern/Central Utah, and this reminded me so much of that area BUT then there were crazy green plains all around.  It just confused my brain, I guess. ๐Ÿ˜‚  

I love the northern plains!
And I LOVE open spaces.


All these pictures you could play I spy the kids in.... or buffalo.  

We did one longer hike there (with the ladder) and then a couple ones that were just basically the parking lot area view spots.  I really enjoyed it, but it was definitely a one day stop.  






I had showed the kids a picture of this hike before we went and they were so excited for that ladder, but really, it's deceiving because it's not steep at all.  They ALL complained because they thought it would be much steeper.  Sorry kids, the danger level was not extreme enough.  


Why is picture taking as a group so, so, very difficult?!?



I love the handprints they decided to decorate Leo with.  










Bighorn Sheep, just losing it's winter coat.

The skies in North and South Dakota Prairies are to die for.  I love the wide open skies!

See?!  Spot the children.
And then in a different direction it just looked like this.  ๐Ÿ˜. I thought Kansas would be like this.  I was very wrong.

Prairie dogs were everywhere.
And a lot of bison.


And mud.  Lots and lots of mud from the rain.
 

1 comment:

Kayli said...

That was a really cool chapel, and I feel like you and Elena wore really good dresses to go along with it. Well done.
My kids, and honestly-I, am always disappointed in the danger level too. Whether it's a ladder or cables or ropes, they are never as exhilarating as the reviews lead you to believe.
Also, why didn't I just drop whatever I was doing and go on this trip with you ? You had all the planning DONE and it was so cool!!!!