Sunday 7 October 2018

Trip to Casper






I really did log about 2000 miles driving all over in August and September.  It was not so fun--I was very tired by the time we moved.  But I had promised Elena that I would take her to the National Historic Trails Center in Casper.  So at the end of August I took them all up one day.

  

Then we headed over to the Tate Geological Museum.
  



And finally to Fort Caspar.  That was pretty interesting actually.  It was a calvary fort.   Now I know how to picture a fort when reading my next Louis L'Amour better.  The fort was named after a guy that was killed in a skirmish with Natives--his dad had been pretty high up military during the Civil War.  Then it talked about how that same day another group of calvary were wiped out (22-23 dead--not quite sure it's been a while since I read this) by Independence Rock.  Weird to think about since we played there so many times.



This is my nod to Leo's job--an oil history exhibit.


The first ferry (the Mormon ferry) over the Platte.  That looks iffy to me.  Anyway, we ended the day at Dairy Queen and an awesome shopping trip at Once Upon a Child and haircuts for all the boys before driving back to Rawlins.  Good day, although I was super tired by the end.

No comments: