Sunday 26 June 2011

Stewart's Falls and a Few Staples


Yesterday, we hiked to Stewart Falls. It was lovely! The day was perfect for it. And with all the spring run off, the falls were huge. Stewart Falls are up American Fork canyon, right next to Sundance and Apsen Grove and where we'll be camping this summer during our family reunion.
There were several large trees on the trail, which were fun to navigate under and/or over.
Beautiful views.
Pretty flowers.
Like I said, it was lovely.

The trail was pretty heavily packed though, which was good and bad. At least we were able to get our picture together a couple of times.

Getting close to the falls. It's about a 3.6 mile round trip, but it isn't very hard.
Sebastian and me.

Up on a ledge.

Looking down on the remains of the snow pack.
Ana was trying to convince us to let her go in the snow tunnel, but we said no.
Down on the snow. We ate lunch here.


Heading back.
And this is Elena before her accident. Yes, this is the spot where the staples come in. Leo was carrying her and Sebastian, and he twisted his ankle on a rock and fell--we had been trying to walk quickly as the kids were tired by that time. Anyway, he managed to not fall on top of her, but her head hit a rock and it gouged out quite a bit. Luckily, we were almost back--I did have a first aid kit in our backpack, but nothing big enough to staunch that much blood.

So I held her head while I carried her the rest of the way down. My hands didn't look too bloody by the time this picture was taken. But still, it's macabre to have your hands covered in blood. I cleaned her wound when we got home (and Leo's scraped knee) and then took her to urgent care where she had three staples put in. She was very calm through the whole thing. I was impressed. It was kind of fun to clean it all up, I liked wound care a lot when I was nursing.
It was a beautiful day with gorgeous scenery, and a little excitement never hurts anyone--well not for long anyway.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh my gosh! I loved seeing all the beauty pics you took of the nature and was thinking I need to you what great hikers you all are.....then my heart stopped when you said "accident" and "staples"!!! Was NOT expecting that bit of news. Yikes! Scary.

Glad everything turned out okay in the end. You are so like my mom. That's makes you a great nurse too. ; D

Our children are the future said...

I have to go there... it looks so beautiful!!! poor Elena by the way... I hope Leo and her are doing better!

Kayli said...

Yet no picture of Elena's head?? I want to see!
That looked like a beautiful place.
p.s. way to use the word macabre!

Anonymous said...

Oh such a pretty place./ Yes Kayli, we do have beautiful sites here in Utah too(hahaha).
Mom