Saturday 22 March 2008

A Day at the Airports

Wednesday we flew out to Utah. My good friend Jenny was kind enough to pick us up at 5:45 AM to drive us to the airport. (Us being me and my two kids.) I didn't sleep well that night. Elena's been getting 3 more teeth in and has been a complete grouch the last couple days and then she was up for an hour during the night. Also I woke up from people talking outside, my neighbors upstairs, etc. etc. The flight at 7:45 AM was full. The flight two hours later was also full. My kids did fairly well though, although I snapped at Ana to stop whining that we couldn't get on the flights because I couldn't do anything about it. We ate a yummy gyro and french fries. The flight from 7:45 AM unloaded the passengers (they had never taken off due to an oil leak) and after another hour they reboarded at 12:35 and lo and behold--now they had two empty seats and we got on!!! At Sky Harbor we had to wait another three and half hours for the next flight to SLC. We ate burritos (I highly recommend The Blue Burrito Grille to anyone traveling through there) and the kids ran around like crazy in the near empty gate. I encouraged that strongly despite a few nasty looks. Then came the first episode of diarrhea from Elena. Good thing it was at the airport and not on the plane. Also good that we only took carry-ons and had all our clothes with us, although my splattered pants I just tried to wipe off. Yum. Then we made it on our flight with plenty of space. So nice. It went quick and we finally arrived at SLC at 7:45 PM local time. Leo's flight came in 15 mins later so we waited for him. This is when Elena's second episode of diarrhea struck. Again, thank goodness it was at the airport. After Leo arrived we called my sister Megan who was at a YW/YM activity and she came to pick us up after that. So we finally reached her house at 12:30 AM (1:30 AM my time zone). It was a long day. But the kids were really good. Ana is an expert at pulling luggage! A lot of people helped us get off the planes both times too. It's nice to see how kind people can be at times. Anyway, I'm glad we made it at all, so no complaints from me.
How Ana entertained herself at Sky Harbor.

How Elena entertained herself.

Watching the tarmac.

Giving Ana a ride.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Holy!!! What a LONG day! I wish you all the best of fun with your family this week. HAPPY EASTER!