Tuesday 13 November 2007

Last Saturday's Post

This reminded me of Sphere, that Michael Crichton book.

Last Saturday night I had this wonderful post written to entertain and enlighten all my readers and then my computer ate it. So here's a briefer version of last Saturday's post.

This was the kids' favorite piece. It had ocean wave sounds too. I snapped a picture when the guard wasn't looking. Shame on me.

On Friday, Jenny and I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago to see a mobile exhibit by Alexander Calder. It consisted of about 5 pieces of art, which were cool, but not really the extensive collection I had expected.

And well, all in all, I don't think modern art is really my particular favorite. I do really enjoy a few pieces but a lot of it just doesn't seem to have much appeal to me, i.e. a canvas painted black. Jenny and I also had to avoid a "living sculpture," a couple, (thankfully dressed) making out in slow motion--I mean, literally rolling around on the ground and whatnot. We also found the museum was definitely not at all kid friendly, and our kids were fairly well behaved too. Sigh. I think I'm going to grit my teeth and keep dragging my kids to such things, otherwise I'll never have a chance to go!


William was a firefighter for Halloween, so I thought this picture was appropriate.

And now for your enlightenment: Researchers have found that women's attractiveness varies according to their menstrual cycles. They appear most attractive when they have the highest amounts of estrogen in their bodies, which is when they're most fertile as well. Apparently we need the extra boost to attract males to breed. Hmm, just think now when you're feeling all cruddy and horrible looking during your next menstrual period, you can think to yourself, "I really am looking my worst!" and it will be true.

Chloe, William, and Jenny


Did you know in Britain they spell estrogen, oestrogen? And they spell color, colour too. When I was little in elementary school, I was always confused in which way to spell color. As you can see, my American education has won out over my Canadian side. How sad. Now I'll have to say eh a couple of times to make me feel better, eh?
Elena the Grouch.


Researchers have also found that we really do have five taste buds not four on our tongue. They are: sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami. It's produced by glutamate and is according to article, what makes dashi soup and veal stock taste so good. (Having never eaten either, I can't really say. Although I did buy dashi paste one time to try to make miso soup. It turned out horrible!!! So I threw the dashi paste away--besides it smelled terrible. By the way, does anyone want a container of seaweed?) Over a hundred years a Japanese scientist, Ikeda, published findings saying their was a fifth taste but no one believed it till now. Just goes to show, eh?

Me, down by the river.

2 comments:

Kayli said...

cool stuff. I like that picture of you down by the river. I have an extra taste on my tongue. It is icecream.

Anonymous said...

I have an extra taste on my tongue--it's called Timothy.