Tuesday 6 November 2007

When Leo leaves....

. . . . everything turns to mush. Yep, that's right. Not only did we eat porridge for breakfast this morning but all my plans and the house and myself turned to mush. Sigh. And he's gone for almost a full week because he has training in Phoenix this weekend, which was supposed to be his weekend off. Argghhh!! First off, I made the mistake of going to the library, then I made the mistake of checking out books. Then I opened one. Well, you can guess where this is going. Yes, I did finish it today and my house is a disaster. Still is, in fact. The bathtub is yet to be drained, breakfast and lunch dishes are overflowing the sink while the supper dishes are still on the table. Toys are scattered everywhere. The towels (miraculously still somewhat folded--by Ana) are falling off the coffee table. And a great big pile of ironing awaits me in my dining room/pantry. I'm avoiding looking at it all by staring intently at the computer screen. My contacts are kind of swimming though from all the staring. Anyway, after finishing the book, I felt like eating chocolate. I resisted and ate yogurt instead. Then I ate chocolate. If I finish this bag of chocolate chips tonight, it's going to be a long week indeed.

This was my favorite part of the book, the dedication:

For Colin Firth
You're a really great guy, but I'm married,
so I think we should just be friends.
Hee. Hee. Okay, the book was Austenland by Shannon Hale. It's about a woman obsessed with Pride and Prejudice who goes to a vacation spot in England that recreates Jane Austen's time era and is courted by actors that are supposed to make all the women swoon, etc. etc. Yes, lame. I really have strong inhibitions to actually admitting that I willingly chose (albeit, it was recommended to me) and read this book. I'd much rather say I was reading much weightier books like, Brave New World or Of Human Bondage. But no, I must admit it was not a weighty book at all. Quite fun though. By the way, I'm not all that big of fan of Colin Firth either. Oh and before I go face reality and clean the house, I wanted to add that I watched a pretty good romantic film recently with Russell Crowe (I'd much rather watch him than Colin Firth) called A Good Year. I liked it a lot, it was very artsy with gorgeous scenary and a soundtrack I loved including Itsy Bitsy Yellow Polka Dot Bikini in French. One of my favorite parts was how Max (Russell Crowe) would shout out "Lance Armstrong!" whenever he drove past these Frence cyclists and they'd curse back at him. Ironically, I watched Pride and Prejudice that same night, but the newer, shorter version, not the one with Colin Firth.

4 comments:

Kayli said...

Kami, how are we even friends? WE so seldom like the same things. As in, the movie A Good Year, I thought was RETARDED~! I didn't even finish it even though I watched most of it. Lame lame lame. Blechy. I can't believe you liked it. Unbelievable. You are in disgrace until I say otherwise. Ruff.

Oh, and I LOVE your dying quotes, particularly Pancho Villa's. And I think those pictures of Elena are so cute, and we are way too on the same wave-length still because I have been ignoring my house too. And it's 11:22 so I've got to get going!!!!! Aaargh.

Anonymous said...

I'm joining the party of women who rebel against housework to read books of no eternal merit and eat chocolate (ahem, lots of it). I really need some sleep now. Even though I was only reading half of today, the other half I felt too wasted to even decide what I should I do.
Andrea

Emily said...

The pictures are priceless... here's to the pilot widows that do nothing while their husbands are out flying only to speed clean an hour before they come home and spritz windex in the air as to give the illusion of never ending tidy--ness. Hope all goes well!!

Kami said...

Hear! Hear! I totally relate to that comment Emily.