Wednesday 24 April 2019

Spring Break Museum Trip Part 2

***This entire post is only interesting to me.  Feel free to skip--or at least to the end where I do have pictures of my lovely children.  I've given fair warning now and so don't blame me if you keep looking.***

So Mom mentioned going to the Daughters of the Utah Pioneer museum because she wanted to ask them about someone.  I jumped on that because I knew they had clothes!  Not so fun for my kids, but hey, it's give and take right?   Anyway, they had cool stuff.  All these pictures are of pioneer midwives and doctors.  So cool.

Sometimes medical stuff is somewhat interesting to me.  (My friend just told me they have a pioneer era breast pump there--I wish I had seen that!)

Real life Dr. Quinn.

And I didn't know the Relief Society sponsored women to go to school to be nurses--that's so cool!
I love the peacock feathers in this dress.  But the lack of proper styling (not the right undergarments to give it the correct silhouette is KILLING ME!!!!  Seriously want to go become a professional museum curator just so I can fix all of their displays.  Ack!


Check out the hip expanders on that mannequin--that's how women got the tiny Edwardian/Gibson girl waists--they faked it---breast pads and hip expanders=tiny waist, at least visually.



I try to convince people that Victorian clothes were riotously colorful (cough*Mom*) but seeing only black and white photos doesn't help.  Love the purple dress--this would have been early pioneer time. Again--not the proper undergarments.  And fabric fades too, so some would have been even brighter.


That trim!  Wow!





I love the cradle above and that quilt below--gorgeous!


Yep, I did get some pictures of my kids.  I should have put these at the top.

Look it's a baby walker!!!  So cool!
 I love antiques.  And then after we left we went to the Church History Museum because Mom was asking them something and the nice senior missionary corralled my kids into a room where we watched a video, but Jubal still managed to almost knock a painting off the wall. And then we went and found Katelyn (my niece who's on her mission on Temple Squares) and then we went briefly to the Church Family History Library, where I asked a question and then we drove Mom back up to Ogden and Mom forgot her ggrandma's diaries in my car and so we met up again at Riverdale Rd and my kids had Wendy's and I ran one errand and then we drove home.  It was a long day, but good. The end.

No comments: