Friday 31 October 2014

A list of movies

I like movies.  A lot.  And it was actually harder for me to narrow down movies than it was to narrow down books.  Weird, I know.  But here's my list of favorites, unenumerated after the first one, as you can see, because I can't actually bear to rank them. But Everything is Illuminated is definitely my favorite.  It's about family history, how could it not be my favorite?!?!?  And I didn't make it down to 10 either.  13.  I could only manage to cut it to 13. (Sorry about the cruddy formatting on this post, but the video clips were make everything skiwampish.)


1) Everything is Illuminated





The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 


  • Gosford Park  
  • Im Juli (In July) 
  • The Mummy  


  • Castle in the Sky 


  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Cranford

  • The Bourne Trilogy 

  • Saints and Soldiers


  • Jim Henson's The Storyteller: Yes this is REALLY one of my favorites.  Whatever, Leo and I watch it all the time. 

  • The Chronicles of Narnia

  • Sherlock (the TV series--yeah not a movie.  But practically is with the length of episodes.)
I decided that it's harder to rank movies because there are so many that are about the same level of me liking them. For instance, below, I put About a Boy and I do really like that movie, but I could have just as easily put Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, and I like it about the same.  Spy Games and The Hunt for Red October are pretty much interchangeable. As is Young Guns and Tombstone.  Braveheart and Gladiator, also interchangeable.  They Still Call Me Trinity, Nacho Libre, Napoleon Dynamite, Fantastic Mr. Fox all are classified together in my mind too.  I like them all about the same.  My list could go on forever, just all the movies I like.  So difficult to pick the best after my initial 13.  Contenders included:
  • About a Boy
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Dead Poet's Society
  • They Still Call Me Trinity
  • Molíere
  • Spy Games
  • Any BBC period drama (well, almost any)
  • The Maldonado Miracle
  • Young Guns
  • Willow
  • X-Men 
  • The Hunt for Red October
  • Last of the Mohicans
  • Lonesome Dove
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • An Ideal Husband
And if I was to name a favorite actor or actress it would be Judi Dench.  
Favorite actor is much harder.  I don't know.  Leonardo DiCaprio, Benedict Cumberbatch, umm, Hugh Jackman because he looks great as Wolverine??  I give up.  

Now, once again, I'm tagging Kayli, Andrea, and Lindsay to post the same. Not that they ever did with the books.  Ruff. Adios.




2 comments:

The Haws Family said...

I didn't know I had been tagged. Also, I haven't seen over half of these movies. Forgot about the mummy-that's a good one! And Cranford is good? It always comes up in Netflix as something i would like but I've never watched it.

Kami said...

Lindsay, watch Cranford immediately!!! Not quite so romantic as North and South (one of my other favorites), but oh so funny in very subtle way. Also, I definitely tag you. Sorry if I didn't before.