Tuesday 28 February 2012

Isabel and the finished Red Dress

Isabel told me the other day that I was "THE BEST COOK IN THE WHOLE WORLD!" after I made Raman noodle soup for lunch. Umm, glad I can boil water.
When I went through the clothes in storage the other day I found cowboy boots for Sebastian. This immediately led to tears and wailing from Isabel because she's the only one without cowboy boots. I guess since we're moving to Texas, we should get her some, eh?
And this is my finished maternity dress. What do you think? Leo loves it. And I can wear my red shoes, so I'm happy.
It wasn't as simple as it looks because I had to make a ton of adjustments. See, these are my redrawn adjusted pattern pieces that I made.Amazingly the adjustments all worked. I used this book as a guide. I highly recommend it. Here's the adjustments I made:

  • Increased the bust to size 38.
  • Added 2 1/2 inches to the bodice because I'm horribly long waisted (19 inches neck to waist measurement).
  • Added a 1/2 inch to the shoulders since I'm broad shouldered too.
  • Lowered the bust dart.
  • Made a 1" FBA.
  • Added 4" to the length of the skirt
  • Changed the pointy 70's collar to more of a Peter Pan type collar.
Oh, and my invisible zipper, didn't turn out to be so invisible. But it's nice and neat, so that's all right.

4 comments:

Our children are the future said...

Wow, you are so talented!! You look great Kami, I really love that dress!!! :)

Lynn said...

I totally was going to say the same thing as Milexis! So beautiful!!! You look great. Love the red shoes too.

Natalie said...

I love the dress! I didn't get to tell you yesterday. It looked amazing. You have graduated officially from costumes to REAL clothes. :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I love your dress and I am glad I was able to see it in person. YOu did a great job. Isabel is adorable. You should send her to Grandpa Jack if she is in need of boots!!!!!!