Tuesday 11 October 2011

Colombian Panderos

So I'm an idiot. I just spent 35 mins looking for this post on my blog, only to realize I had never typed in the recipe, and so I had never published this post. All the pictures were on the draft, saved away for future publishing that never happened for over a year--it was Aug 2010 when I first made this.
Anyway, here's the recipe for Colombian Panderos compliments of "Secrets of Colombian Cooking" by Patricia McCausland-Gallo.

1 3/4 c sweet cassava starch (look for Tapioca starch)
1/3 c sugar
1/4 c grated panela
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbls Aguardiente (or really Anise extract if you want the alcohol free version)
4 Tbls shortening

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all the dry ingredients. Then add the rest and mix.


Grating panela.
Grated panela.
2. The dough should look shiny but if you can't roll it out into a log, then add more starch. Cut into 1 inch squares and press down with fork.
Bake for 15 mins, they should look pale on top and lightly golden on the bottom.
Enjoy--well, if you're my husband enjoy, it took a while to grow on me. I don't really like licorice flavored things, and in a cookie that's just weird, but after eating several, I started to like them.

No comments: