Wednesday 17 December 2008

Im Juli


I just have to say first of all, I DID NOT RENT THIS MOVIE. I just wanted to tell ya all that because it's what might be otherwise known as a "Kami movie" in my family. I'm the only member of my family to have a genre named after them. I'm quite proud of that, but in this particular instance, Kayli actually rented this movie. Reason being, it's in German. Brett speaks German, so she thought it would be cool for him to watch a movie in German. Overall though, I think it could safely be considered a Kami movie. However I do want to add a disclaimer early on here. It's a foreign film, foreign film aren't rated. This one could easily be an R for drug use and language (there's a particularly foul-mouthed Turk in it). So you be the judge. (And this after Kayli and Brett were mocking me earlier that day for my reformation from watching R-rated movies. Tsk. Tsk.)

Here's the English version.
So on to Im Juli, or In July. It's about a guy Daniel who's a high school math teacher. He meets this girl July (or Juli) at a flea market where she sells him a ring with a sun on it for luck, telling him that he would meet a girl with a sun that would bring him happiness and then also invites him to a party. Daniel goes and meets a girl from Istanbul wearing a shirt with a sun on it, and he leaves with her. Meanwhile July shows up wearing a dress with a sun on it just in time to see him leave. She's sad so the next day she decides to hitchhike to wherever the first person that stops is going. Sure enough, it's Daniel, who had just dropped off the Turkish girl at the airport who was flying back to Istanbul and he has just decided to chase after her. Okay, I probably just killed the whole movie right there. But it's really funny. It's one of the best I've seen for a while. Like in the above scene, where they get married at the Romanian border because by this time his passport has been stolen and they won't let him across otherwise.
I believe this one must be in Turkish. That's a complete guess though. Here's a tantalizing quote for you.

[Daniel after getting arrested] "This is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Now it's all over with! Forever! And why? Because the guy who picked me up has a corpse in his trunk! Just imagine! A corpse! Is that your hobby?"

Don't you want to watch it even more now??!?!

Watch this link!!! Okay so if you watched the link like I told you, this is my English subtitles abbreviated. He wakes up after being drugged and all his money, passport, etc. has been stolen. He catches a ride to Budapest where he sees the girl that stole them all. Basically you can follow along the car chase scene without help. And then he meets July again at the Romanian/Hungarian border. Got to love it.



And this one picks up right where the last one ended. They have no car, no money, etc. So they decide to steal one, but since July says that's only what bad people do and "we're the good guys," they decide to steal it from a really bad person. So every guy that comes to the service station, Daniel is trying to convince her is a mass murderer. Then while stealing the car she stops him to ask, "Isn't this romantic?" Hee. Hee. Then he decides to jump their car across the Danube. You can kind of figure out what happens next.

Anyway, the best line of all is when July is teaching him what to say to the Turkish girl when he meets her: "My darling, I've traveled thousands of miles, I've crossed rivers and moved mountains. I've suffered and endured agonies. I've resisted temptation, and I've followed the sun, so that I could stand before you and tell you I love you. " and then Daniel says, "Isn't that corny?" Ahhh, so sweet in the end though.

Oh and here's a song that is gorgeous.

That's the Turkish girl--not sure of her name--that he chases after the whole movie. In the end, she ties in with the guy who has a corpse in his trunk. Intriguing, no?

No comments: